Jeep Maintenence - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Jeep Maintenence

(04 TJ 31x10.50's Minimal offroad no rock crawling)

What do you do to maintain your Jeep on a month to month basis?

It's my daily driver so it is rarely in 4wd. I've read all the manuals and everything and would like you opinions.

How often should you change the diff fluid? Do you just have to keep it full, or should you replace it?

What is the ideal octane gas to use in it? Should I not be putting BP gas in it?

What else should I be checking? (and how do I check it?)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Re: Jeep Maintenence

Jeep Maintenance, actually. Whatever.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

I change the diff fluids at least every year, more if I feel like I have alot of wheeling in mud or water. I buy the cheap gas from wherever.....except I will not use Citgo products. I look at everything I can think of (bolts, nuts, fluid levels, etc.) after every wheeling trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:45 PM

Water and the stuff it brings with it is your biggest enemy. Any time you get in water hub deep or more you should grease everything that can be greased.

You should also change the transmission, transfer case and differentials. Any oil that comes out milky has taken it water. Either correct where it's entering or continue to change it after every immersion.

Also after every wheeling trip where there's dust in the air you should inspect the air cleaner. The old standard is that you lay down a sheet of newspaper and bang the flat surface of the air filter on it. If any dust can be knocked loose the element should be changed. Another test is to put the filter around a lightbulb. If you can see light through it, it's still good. I think that test is way too permissive.

Those procedures are neither time nor mileage dependent; they need to be done after every wheeling trip. My Jeep gets very little use, so I change oil and filter twice a year, which may only be a few hundred miles of use.

Something I've done since the Jeep was new is to annualy remove the plug wires, clean them with carburetor cleaner, work silicone grease into the places where the boots meet the wires, and then spray them liberally with silicone spray. They lasted more than 28 years, and never let the electricity out.

That's all I can think of that varies from the maintenance you'd do for any car of similar mileage, age and use.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(04 TJ 31x10.50's Minimal offroad no rock crawling)

What do you do to maintain your Jeep on a month to month basis?

It's my daily driver so it is rarely in 4wd. I've read all the manuals and everything and would like you opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, unless you go through deep water, just do what the Factory Service Manual recommends and you will be taking far better care of your Jeep than most people.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Old Hand

Ok I agree if you hit deep water (hub deep or deeper) change all of your fluids: tranny, transfer, diffs. I do mine at least 1x year. I finally got tired of pulling diffs and reinstalling them so I put drain plugs in. Easy to do on your own or about $50 to have it done. A shop did tell me that when you drive your jeep or Pickup for that matter your diff and axle get hot, when you get them wet from submesion (water crossings or backing a boat trailer into the water) It causes rapid cooling an will suck water past your seals.
After you go wheeling crawl under the jeep and look for any scrapes and scratches, make sure it all looks good, ALSO WASH OFF ALL THE MUD...STOP THE RUST. LOL have fun.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:51 AM

most axle housings are vented, so it should only suck water past your seals if your axle housing vents are not working correctly.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
most axle housings are vented, so it should only suck water past your seals if your axle housing vents are not working correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if the vent openings are under water!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 12:29 PM

What Pete and Kevin said. Same for transfer cases and transmissions.

If all is as it should be - seals are good and vents are high - there's no problem. Until you know that, check all fluids after every immersion.

Some automatic transmsmissions are known leakers at the vent, and the T18 leaks around the shift lever. Those problems should be corrected before immersion. Especially the automatics because they can be ruined in minutes if water gets in.

My Jeep has a single, central vent system. I'm wondering if I could pressurize it to a couple of PSI and watch the leakdown rate to determine the integrity of all cases, vents and seals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode