CJ front springs onto a YJ frame? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

CJ front springs onto a YJ frame?

Yeah, I know it's usually the other way around, but I have perfectly good 2"ish lift springs that I want to swap over to the new frame. I am aware of the difference in width and also after measuring I noticed that front to rear the YJ eyelet holes are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch farther apart than the CJ.

There are conversion shackles to take care of the width. I suppose I could make some of these and simply use them upside down. If I keep the CJ springs I will use spacers at the rear mount to take up the width slack there.

It's hard to find just front lift springs, but BDS sells them for about $100 each. So basically I'm trying to save $250 (shipping).

Any ideas on how if any, the shorter spring length would effect handling? I figure the shackles may sit a little more vertical. Could this make a difference in how "bump steer" would be felt? Any thoughts are appreciated.

By the way most of you probably already know this, but to put the Scout axles under the CJ I had to outboard the mounts to 31". YJ frame width... 31" I'm happy!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 AM

Re: CJ front springs onto a YJ frame?

I think the biggest difference the length will make is in travel. With the shackles a little closer to vertical they'll not let the axel drop quite as far. I wouldn't think it significant.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 AM

I used stock YJ springs on my SOA CJ then later went back to CJ springs.I used pieces of 1/4" plate to fill the gaps alongside the springs caused by wider perches. The actual difference in length of mine is about 1&1/2 inches. You would be reducing your wheelbase around 3/4" and the CJ springs should give you some lift, might have to raise the rear to keep your Jeep level. The CJ springs seem to be stronger/stiffer and hold up to severe flexing well though they will flatten out pretty quick if you flex a lot. I much prefer them to the YJ springs on the CJ. If you try it, just don't do anything you can't undo. After you swap springs once it gets pretty easy untill the bolts rust up again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lifted spring? So you're saying that the CJ springs have a lift in them? Well, unless they are a good quality spring, I think you will not like the stiffness....

As noted, the CJ spring is shorter...that means you will need to shorten your front DS....basically, it's going cause more problems than it solves....

If your looking for lift, then do an SOA with your stock springs...you get to keep the soft ride but get 5.5" of lift.....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 01:24 PM

Stock CJ springs have more curvature to them than stock YJ springs, at least the ones I've looked at do. The bolt in the spring hanger on a YJ is further away from the frame, it hangs lower, than a CJ. The net result is some lift on a YJ with CJ springs, and some lowering by putting stock YJ springs on a CJ.
There was no noticable difference (to me) in ride or handling when I swapped YJ and CJ springs back and forth.

I got a kick out of the son of a buddy that told me when riding with me in rocks one day, that my CJ rode better Off road than his daddy's Rubicon. The CJ springs are flat now (it flexes like mad) but still do great. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Jeepete, did you weld your spacers to the shackles to prevent any slop, or just slide them in between the shackle and bushing.

I am already SOA with the 2" springs now, and although I don't know what brand they are (besides free), they've worked very well for me on and off road. Because they are arched lift springs, they should be a tad longer than stock and help (at least a little) with the length issue.

I am leaning towards trying the CJ springs with non-welded spacers, and if something is way out of wack, I can go with YJ springs fairly easy, just have to poney up the $$$ if I can scrape it together. Thanks for the input.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 08:34 PM

The spacers I mentioned are between the U bolts and the springs at the spring perches. I made 2 1/2 inch peches for the YJ springs and didn't feel like changing them or the plates so I filled the gap with steel plate. I had replaced the front shackle hangers with rear CJ hangers (2 1/2") and moved them ahead about an inch so they would match the Yj springs. The rear hangers are the same width on both models and need no change. When I put the 2" CJ springs back under it I simply put the CJ front hangers back in place where they came from. There was no welding involved in swapping springs, all nuts and bolts. You may have to move the front shackle hangers back to get Cj springs to work on the YJ.

I wouldn't do it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Old Hand

Ok Just because I did this dosent mean I endorse this!!! I was given a set of home built shackles for my CJ (freebe)! but they were to wide in the front I beleave that they were for the wrangler. I just used large washers as spacers. Seems to work fine. Though I did notice I have some front end wander that I didnt have prior to the shackels. By the way they gave me about 3/4" lift. I have been told that regardless of the shackles I would get some wander.
Would Wangler springs work in a CJ, the With seems like they would fit, but the length? it sounds like its only 1-1 1/2" diffrence. could they be arched to fit providing more lift. Probibly very dangerous. O-well I probibly should just spend the money adn do it right...lol
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I was planning on welding 1/4 in plate to the inner edge of the shackles thinking it might keep the slack to a minimum. I would think your wander is partly due to the washers, and partly due to the extra length of the shackle effecting the caster in the front axle. If you don't want to weld, a solid 1/4 spacer would likely be better than a stack of washers.

I personally don't know why wrangler springs would be 1 1/2 inch longer. Lots of folks are saying this, but I have both frames sitting in my driveway and the difference between shackle mount holes is less than 1/2 inch.

Lots of folks use wrangler springs on CJ's, usually as a spring over set-up I think. Yes the front springs are too wide for CJ mounts. You can purchase adapter shackles for the front and I've seen people weld on new mounts for the rear or simply pry the CJ mounts open (probably not the best route).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 11:43 PM

On my 86 CJ the front spring hangers are the correct width for YJ springs, no spacers or bending required. The rear YJ springs bolted right in the cj with no mods except for using a larger diameter shackle bolt in the spring. The YJ springs moved my front axle ahead about 3/4" (half the difference in length). Even after moving the front shackle hanger forward one bolt hole (about one inch) the front shackles still raked forward at about 45*.
Maybe the CJ springs will work good for you, I sure like them better than YJ springs myself. On the CJ that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode