OT/ Reccomend a decent floor jack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Addict

OT/ Reccomend a decent floor jack

My trusty 15 year old Craftsman 3 ton floor jack lifted it's last load today. Brother called to tell me it started spewing hydraulic oil as he started to lift his Cherokee. A quick call to Sears confirms that individual repair parts are not available for it and I need to purchase a $75 dollar power unit to fix it. The heck with that.

I'd love to step up to a much lighter aluminum unit as I typically keep the jack in the basement. Carrying 60+ pounds of floor jack up a flight of stairs and out to the driveway just ain't as fun as it used to be. Can anyone reccomend a decent, lightweight jack or have any experience with the aluminum jacks being sold now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT/ Reccomend a decent floor jack

Sounds like your brother owes you a new jack....if it was working fine when you gave it to him, then he must have broke it.....

Wish I could give some advice...but I'm interested in finding out what the others say as well regarding the AL jacks....I wouldn't mind one as well....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:08 PM
MNT
Addict

I have seen one at Costco looks to be ok, but it is only 1.5 ton. Probably enough, but I didn't want to go with probably so I ended up with a newer Craftsman 3 ton, it is just fine. Then again, I don't have stairs to carry it up (I am glad about that) Might be worth checking out the one at Costco. They have a good return policy if it doesn't work out.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM
MNT
Addict

A quick google search fouond this AL Floor Jack

Pretty spendy. Lifts just over 18" high. Is that enough for big tires and a nice droopy suspension
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Way Outta Control

Harbor Freight's been dropping their prices on them. I've been looking, but didn't get one - yet.
Try taking the old jack apart - often it's just a piece of dirt caught behind the O ring. And often the O rings are standard sizes or "close enough."

I have a 70 year old Walker that I keep alive with O rings every 3 or 4 years.

And HF jacks are rebuildable with O rings too.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 07:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Go to the Sears web-site and try to look up the parts you want with the model number. I've ordered many parts from them this way. I got ice maker parts for the fridge that's at least twelve years old. Or...take it to the local hydraulic repair place and see what they will fix the piston for. You might be surpised. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I appreciate the input everyone. I plan on splitting open the jack just to see what exactly failed. I should be able to repair it if it's something as simple as an o-ring. If it's more serious, I'll swing by Costco to check out what they are offering and how it compares to what the mail order places have as well.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM

http://www.sears.ca/gp/browse.html/102-7...=A10FHFRJZ0GJG3

The best floor jack is your own floor jack. Craftsman tools are under a LIFETIME replacement warranty.

Remind your local Sears of that, they are still under contractual obligation to fulfil their claim. Your craftsman floor jack should be covered, and repair IS an option when replacement is not.

I just had a 17 year old rachet repaired by Sears, on their dime, even though I'd used it as a drift, hammer, pry bar, chisel, and just about everything BUT a rachet for the past 4 years. Looks all shiny new.

In the unlikely event that your floor jack isn't covered by the lifetime warranty (Mine are, all three of them) You can elect to replace only the ram portion of your jack.

If you have the part number of the jack, I can take a look at what rams are available, I had to do this for an older floor jack of mine recently. PM me with it though, no use cluttering up a thread.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Addict

its probably a couple "o" rings and possibly a cup seal or two, take em off and go to a hydraulics shop and see if they can hook you up, shouldnt be all that pricey, and no need to pay them to do something i imagine you are more than capable of doing[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 12:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I am getting ready to buy an aluminum one. Mine is in and out of the truck sometimes a dozen times in a day. I too am tired of loading that 60 pound jack I have. My father in law just bought a 1.5 ton unit that appears to be a gem. It was from a flea market but is a reputable brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode