HEI/TFI... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

HEI/TFI...

First off, I know I'm going to get crap for this...I HAVE searched, I gues I just don't understand???
88 YJ, 4.2L, Weber 32/36(soon to be mc2100...hopefully), TFI...cap, base, rotor, wires, e-coil. stock distributor, Nutter bypass.
Ok, questions...I was reading posts on converting to the HEI module with the TFI upgrades I listed above ("Stealth HEI" is what its called?). If I were to choose to buy an HEI module and install it:
1. can I get rid of my current module
2. will I still need the use of the ported vac line controlling the dist advance or does the HEI module take care of that?
3. would upgrading the springs do anything, or does my dist not even have them?
4. do I have to completely get rid of my current dist for a new one, assuming the one i have is in good condition?
5. Part number for HEI module?
6. Anything I am leaving out?

If I do need to keep the ported vac line to the dist, or if I just decide not to use the HEI module:
7. Is there an adjustable vac advance for my dist.?
8. Part number for adjustable advance?
I went to NAPA, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Checker and they all gave me blank stares when I asked for an adjustable vaccum advance for my distributor...go figure. Needless to say, its been a long day. Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 04:25 AM

Re: HEI/TFI...

[ QUOTE ]
First off, I know I'm going to get crap for this...I HAVE searched, I gues I just don't understand???
88 YJ, 4.2L, Weber 32/36(soon to be mc2100...hopefully), TFI...cap, base, rotor, wires, e-coil. stock distributor, Nutter bypass.
Ok, questions...I was reading posts on converting to the HEI module with the TFI upgrades I listed above ("Stealth HEI" is what its called?). If I were to choose to buy an HEI module and install it:
1. can I get rid of my current module

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the HEI module replaces the Duraspark Module. It doesn't get rid of the computer that probably came with your YJ

[ QUOTE ]

2. will I still need the use of the ported vac line controlling the dist advance or does the HEI module take care of that?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes you still need it,if your computer is still attached it will also adjust your timing.

[ QUOTE ]

3. would upgrading the springs do anything, or does my dist not even have them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good Question. JYG or RRich may help here. I don't know the timing curve of a YJ compaired to a CJ but I bet it's the same. I heard the advance on a '79-82 258 was the best curve. They changed that when they put the computer in and reshaped the curve. Don't confuse the module with the computer they are different things.

[ QUOTE ]

4. do I have to completely get rid of my current dist for a new one, assuming the one i have is in good condition?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, you don't even have to remove your distributor.

[ QUOTE ]

5. Part number for HEI module?
6. Anything I am leaving out?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have all the answers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

If I do need to keep the ported vac line to the dist, or if I just decide not to use the HEI module:
7. Is there an adjustable vac advance for my dist.?
8. Part number for adjustable advance?
I went to NAPA, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Checker and they all gave me blank stares when I asked for an adjustable vaccum advance for my distributor...go figure. Needless to say, its been a long day. Thanks
Tim

[/ QUOTE ]
Check with Summit Racing, I havn't bothered because the stock curve works great for me. I'm currently at 19-20 MPG and I cant see small stuff like that worth the time or effort.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

So my jeep is nuttered, I dont have the computer hooked to anything. it is actually ripped out along with all the wiring and emissions lines etc. sorry thought i said that before, just not as detailed. and to those responding, thanks again for the help. I numbered each question so you dont have to quote what i said to answer. thanks for the info.
tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 10:36 AM

Here is the Rub.
'Pinging' is detonation (and/or 'Pre Ignition' in some rare cases).
Shouldn't be happening at 55.
Check your vacuum advance and initial timing.

(I'll bet you have taller tires and stock gears. This can cause the exact condition you describe)

Jeep used the same distributor from '78 to '90 in everything.
You have the correct distributor.
If you have done the large cap & rotor upgrade you can proceed.

The Ford style E-core coil is a good addition, but won't save lives by it's self.

Here is the diagram for the for the HEI with that distributor.
This is the NO RELAY version, is easiest to wire, but doesn't give a whole lot more spark energy.

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/jeep/c...heidiagram.jpg

You can hide the GM HEI module in your old Ford/AMC DuraSpark module housing, and use the DuraSpark connector plugs to hook this up.
We call it 'Stealth HEI'. Passes emissions testing if you have to deal with emissions testing...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here is the diagram for using a relay, this will increase your usable spark energy by about 75%.
Relay is common automotive type, used in every vehicle for everything from power seats to headlights.
I get them at discount auto parts stores as a 'kit' for adding extra lights to the front...

http://www.junkyardgenius.com/images/heirelay.gif

When you do this, you have taken all the resistance from the factory wiring harness out of the ignition circuit, so everything is getting as much battery system voltage as it can use.
No factory resistor, no old, dirty contacts and wiring.
Just as much current as your ignition system requires, no questions asked.

You will also need to do this at the alternator.
The diode is Radio Shack p/n 276-1114 and the Heat Shrink Tubing and Small Crimp Connectors came from there also.

http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/chargi.../SIdiode01.gif

With the resistance removed, even the tiny input from the alternator 'Excite' wire will make your vehicle 'Run On' when you shut the key off, this Diode will make that problem go away.
It goes in the 'White Wire', #1 or 'R' terminal wire on the plug to the alternator.
You DO NOT have to do the red wire as shown, just put the diode in, with stripe facing the alternator, in the 'Excite' wire.
----------------

Side note,
You will have to provide the HEI module with two things.
1. An adequate Heat Sink Compound. I use Radio Shack p/n 276-1372A.
DO NOT use the little package of dielectric grease normally packaged with GM HEI modules.
(Grease is clear, Heat sink compound is usually white)

2. The GM HEI module requires a 'Heat Sink' of some flavor.
An old 'Slot One' computer processor heat sink works great,
Excluding that an aluminum sheet roughly twice the size of the processor will work.
Must be flat, clean and a good heat conductor.
Here is an example I did in copper.
http://www.JunkYardGenius.com/JEEP/CJ5pics/cj527.jpg

The next thing we need to discuss,
Is ONLY IF you don't keep the new module in the location of the old module...
The Orange & Violet wires from the distributor are very sensitive!
They MUST BE KEPT AWAY FROM SPARK PLUG OR COIL WIRES!
Keep the pair twisted around each other. This helps keep out EM & RFI.
Keep the pair on or attached to the block when running them to the fire wall, then run them along metal to their new home. Metal is your friend when it comes to blocking RF & EMI signal.
DO NOT run your mag trigger pair in the same harness with the module & coil power wires! Just this much switching noise will affect them.

If you use the pair in the harness to trigger you HEI module, they are all ready twisted, protected and segregated.

This is the best you can do with a 12 volt inductive ignition. The next step is a MSD 6 series fully CDI module.

Anymore questions or problems, I'll be checking this board pretty regularly for the next few days, so don't hesitate to ask.

Semper Fi. Carry On.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Now that is funny... Still hanging on to that 10 gauge wire thing but now a diode is "The Solution".

Help me please.... I just can't take anymore...

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode