Duct door under windshield cowel???what is it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Duct door under windshield cowel???what is it?

I removed the screen on the hood-cowel not sure what its called. On the passenger side is a door that opens for fresh air to the heater box. On the drivers side there is a similar door, but i cant get it to open. where dose it go? how do you open it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Duct door under windshield cowel???what is it?

... and if you'd filled out your profile with an Email address you'd have an article on refurbishing the Heater Box...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Hmmm, Ill keep that in mind. I did remove the heater box and referbished it. didnt look like there was a intake or a discharge in that area. Infact didnt know that there was a second door in that area untill I was sealing up some leaks found this last rain.
As for the email in the profile...I hate junk mail. And while you might not forward it, someone might. So I guess It is my loss on your diagram. I am not trying to be pissy but I crashed a CPU from a virus. And I check my mail from a work CPU at times. So Im just carefull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 04:39 AM

Well you could of at least mentioned if you have a CJ, YJ or TJ. But lets work on the assumption you have a late model CJ or a YJ. The fresh air in those models enters an air plenum before entering the heater box. You probably never noticed the plenum before but it's set up to let fresh air into the jeep without using the blower motor. On a CJ there is a vent behind the dash right above your feet were water can drip onto your shoes when the seals fail. THere is also a vent on the passenger side eating up all the leg room on that side.

Most people cant even find the "fresh air" position on their controls because most of the time the cams and levers that control the vents are rusted up or jammed with dirt. Sure the "AIR" control moves but usually only far enough to open or close the vent sutting off all air to the heater. I foolishly pulled mine all the way out and had to help it back into place before it started to rain.

So assuming you have a CJ or a YJ it's a vent to allow air (and water) onto your feet.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks, that information was very helpfull. It is a CJ, and I did check my profile and I do have my jeep info listed. Next time I will try to be more clear as to the model I am asking about. Thanks Again
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 11:54 AM

Why, yes it is? This morning when I checked there was nothing there but maybe I hit the wrong button. I realy need to get off of this IE browser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode