Body Mounts Came OFF with the Bolts! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body Mounts Came OFF with the Bolts!

i started removing my hocky pucks and the front clip just turns and turns and turns.....the rear most mounts came off when i turned the bolt. the entire mount! the other three on that side came off but the metal is practically rusted through. I haven't donr the right side yet, but they look the same as the left. any ideas how to get the front clip off? and once i get all the monts off can i drive it around the corner to a body shop 100 yards or so. BAD IDEA? tow it? i would prefer to as muck work as possible without a mechanic. any body know of pre-fabricated weld on mounts available, or do i have to have them custom? the front clip is pissing me off! thanx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Body Mounts Came OFF with the Bolts!

I had the same problem on my Jeepster when I was removing the body. My rear mounts just spun so I took my Sawzall and cut the bolts off. I figured they are no good anyway if the aren't attached to the body so I went to town. It took a little while because the bolts are really hard. If your pacience isn't very good you could always be careful with the cutting torch.

Scott C

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used a grinder to remove the head of the bolt and then slid it remainder, nut and all up and out. This may not be an option for you, it depends upon there being space above the bolt. Otherwise try to get a screwdriver, prybar, crowbay, anything wedged in there to hold the nut in place. If it is the same design as my YJ, the nut is just a square piece of metal held in place by a box welded over it. The box on mine deforemed and broke loose. It took me 24 hours of total labor to figure out how to remove the dumb thing. I know how you feel, good luck and as a last resort, a cutting torch will work great to burn the bolt out of there and since you are replacing the rubber body mount, you won't do any harm burning the exhisting one away. Good luck,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 11:07 AM
Addict

You can CAREFULLY pry up the cover at the bottom of the grill to expose the square nut that holds the grill to the frame. They sare fine threaded and are a little tough to get off. You can also grind the nut off as somebody else suggested, but then you have to pry the cover up to get the nut out.
I cut pieces of 2" X 1/8" to make little plates and welded them to the bottom side of the frame mounts. Then make holes in them with a hole say and your all fixed.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode