Gauges - Brands? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gauges - Brands?

Can we talk about gauges today? The aftermarket type?

I got my dash back and I'm ready to add a couple of gauges...specifically, Oil Temp, Tranny temp and Vacuum.

I've looked in Summit....they have one style that looks close to the jeep stock gagues (a look I want to keep), but it's not clear as to if they are lighted....

To be honest....I have not bought a gauge in over 30 years....

Who makes the better brands? And ones that will look like the stock CJ type...

Any any suggestions on where to install the sending units (ok...the vacuum I can figure out).....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 12:21 PM

Re: Gauges - Brands?

Stewart Warner made the small gauges that AMC used in my '78. Lately that division of SW has apparently had some problems. I have all SW gauges, including some gotten a couple of years ago, and they're fine.

I also went through two SW electronic speedometers. One lasted 300 miles, the other 2,500. Got a VDO electronic which has a trip odo, a FAR superior calibration scheme, and has worked fine for about 800 miles.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Addict

I used to run Autometer "Traditional Chrome" gauges in my CJ. The worked well given their relatively low price and were a close match to the original CJ gauges. However, I had a recurring problem with the oil pressure gauge fogging up.

When I redid my dash, I went with the VDO Millenium Series for a different look. White face with a satin black bezel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:40 PM

"I've looked in Summit....they have one style that looks close to the jeep stock gauges (a look I want to keep), but it's not clear as to if they are lighted...."

Summit has a toll free number, call and ask.

As for quality, Autometer is at the top of the list...
They have several grades so choose wisely!

The next grade are places like VDO.
VDO also has a premium line, and stock replacement lines, but they also have an industrial line that isn't pretty, but tough as an anvil.

Bottom of the heap is like the economy versions, normally sold in sets in retail stores...
You have seen them, SunPro, and the generic sets.
You get what you pay for, and if you pay $5 or $6 bucks a gauge, expect a $6 dollar gauge...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 PM

I love my autometer phantoms. I can't say enough good stuff about them, but they are not the stock look you are looking for.

-JL
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 PM

Since there has been several brnads mentioned and one touch on the real answer..........
there are several that are "good" but they all cost. As was mentioned, VDO, SW, Autometer all make good guages and also others. BUT, they all make cheap junk to compete with the with the "autozone" brands.(cough/hack sunpro comes to mind) So you can't buy a good namebrand CHEAPEST GUAGE IN THE CATALOGE and expect to have more than a "cheapie". If you want a good guage you will have to spend some cash if you want it accurate. And if you don't need it on the "dime" then you can go the cheap route. Just be glad your not talking optics for guns. This story becomes WAY more extreme then and we won't talk about the cash. Ask Aaron. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Summit is a great source. One thing to keep in mind is that they carry a LOT more than what they show in the catalog. I run a set of Autometer guages in my Jeep, and I like them a lot. I was also looking for the correct "look".
If you have a performance parts store near you, go there, and ask them if they have a full Autometer, or "X" brand catalog. One that has all their products in it. If you find ones you like, call up summit with the Brand model numbers, and it is pretty likly they will be able to provide you with what you want.
Post up some pic's when your done.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

At this point I'm leaning towards the "Sport Comp" family from Autometer....
A check on the Web shows about the same price ($40) from Summit, Jegs and a few other places....I'll most likely stick with Summit since I have already done business with them before....(they keep sending me reading material for the bathroom).....

It's really tempting to switch to gauges with different backlighting.....as we all know, the CJ7 style are not that great...but then again, they work....

I'll post pics when I'm done....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Old Hand

Ive started Iequis brand, Found in O'Riellys and even 4wd catalog. The electric sont seem to be as accurate as the mechanical. I have run an Autometer Tach and bought if for the name and was disapointed. God luck and let us know what you find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode