OT: Off-topic posts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

OT: Off-topic posts

Lately off-topic threads have been a cesspool of name-calling, baiting, gotcha games, occasional threats and general nastiness. Some Jeep-related threads have been as bad, although there has also been some redeeming educational value mixed in.

For the past week or so Dave and I have been taking steps to tamp down the disagreeable nature of some threads, but we're getting tired of babysitting a bunch of crabs, so we're looking for suggestions. So far the ideas we have are:

Ban Off-Topic threads entirely

Limit Off-Topic threads to a certain number of posts, say ten, and then lock them.

Allow Off-topic threads and just ignore what happens in them.

We're looking for other suggestions, and will probably put up a poll of the best ideas. What's your brilliant idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:37 PM

Re: OT: Off-topic posts

I like the limit idea but would like to see a 24 hour limit. There are some very interesting responses to some OT posts. Not all of us can post within "the first ten" but a time period would give us all a limited time to respond.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I think if you try banning OT posts you'll start seeing a lot of OT subjects still posted, but without the OT disclaimer. I'd go for the time limit, also, with warning that the nastiness will lock the thread and lock out the poster for a given time period, say for 48 hrs.the first time, a week for a second offense, etc. Since I have so little mechanical knowledge to pass on, I try to participate in some of the off-topics when I feel I can contribute something, so I would hate to see an end to all off-topic threads. Just my thoughts, about $.02 worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

why not just close up the OT posts that get out of hand....

seems its mostly a small handful of people who always get carried away.

i like off topic posts [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] helps me learn about killing yellow jackets...and more!

if you locked the yellow jacket thread at 10, i wouldnt have had the other 23 ways to kill the hell-spawned-bastards! think of the children jim....why wont you think of the children!!!?

i know you guys dont want to baby sit.....but really the O/T's should be case by case.... just lock up the stupid ones sooner [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

my 0.03$ (worth more than everyone elses 0.02$ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] j/k )
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Old Hand

I think there's a lot of guys on here who need to get out from behind their computers and actually go wheelin'. Thennnnnn log on their computers and post about their wheelin' trips. Pretty crazy idea, huh? Thats just me though.
Aaron. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tough decision.....some of the worst offenders are also some of the best contributers.....

Overall, I think the limit would work best....but also go with a temp ban on the poster when he/she uses offensive language or makes personal attacks...

Actually, my biggest complaint is the length of some posts....maybe put a limit on the # of characters....and quotes.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 03:40 PM

I think there should be a separate Off Topic forum. Let anything go as long as it stays clean. Many boards do that with good results. Let the SWB jeep section be for SWB jeep only.

OOPS, there is one! General topics.

Ban off topic posts!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 04:03 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I can think of a few off topics that have been educational and fun to read and post to, but I agree that lately, even if they start out with good intentions, they quickly degrade into name calling and childish debates over semantics. IMO when you told them to knock it off, they simply made their rude comments more vague and less direct, but were still making the same basic comments.

I say crack down hard on the violators and try as much as possible from imposing something that, for lack of a better term, "punishes" the rest of the group.

I agree with the time limit. Even the good off topic posts get old after a few pages, and many of them are political, which means even if one gets locked, another hot "off" topic should pop up any minute.

There's a reason why I don't post on Pirate, But lately we are getting the same attitudes, just lacking some of the vulgarity.... it can't be far behind unless something is done.

Thanks again to Jim and Dirt Dog for their efforts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 04:09 PM
Addict

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, my biggest complaint is the length of some posts....maybe put a limit on the # of characters....]

I agree with Ddawg
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

I don't know whether or not the O/T that I just posted is considered an O/T or not as it involves Jeeps but I wasn't sure where to put it. IT is in regards to entering a contest by the Navy Times to win a Jeep. They're celebrating Fleet Week 2006. Good Luck to all who enter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I too, have learned lots on the O/T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode