89 YJ owners--please help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 YJ owners--please help!!

If you have a 89 yj 6 cylinder, please look under the hood. Under the battery box there should be a vacuum canister. Please let me know which line is connected to this. I am thinking one of the front axle vacuum disconnect lines are ran to this. I installed a V8 350, with the engine barely idling, there must not be enough vacuum to engage the front axle. I did not hook it up to the canister though. now i do not know which one should go to the canister.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 89 YJ owners--please help!!

Get the BDS front axle disconnect. It does away with the vacuum system and instead uses a cable. It's especially helpful if you are running front lockers, as you can disconnect the front axle for making turns. Check out their website or call them.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd like to have the BDS rock lock but can't afford it. I just need to hook up a vacuum line.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-20-1999, 01:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are two vaccum lines going to the canister. The larger one gets connected with the red vaccum line setup from the 4WD motor to the front. The smaller line gets connected to the six vac line setup ubove the air filter. It connects to the bottom left. Hope this helps
cris

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-20-1999, 05:12 PM

It should not take a whole lot of vacuum to make the axle collar shift into the 4wd position. I think you might have a collar that is stuck on the half shaft splines. Remove the shift motor from the axle tube and try to move the collar by hand. If it is stuck; free it up and slather a good amount of axle grease on the splines. Check the shift motor itself to see if it will move freely back and forth when vacuum is applied.

Don't worry about losing the differential fluid, as the collar is located in a sealed chamber. You can use some RTV to replace the axle tube gasket. Remember that there should be vacuum to the shift motor in both 2wd and 4wd modes. I had this problem with my 86 Cherokee which also has the disconnect Dana 30 front axle. Now I grease the collar and splines once a year and I have no further problems. This problem will occur whether you have the vacuum or cable set up.

Good Luck!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-21-1999, 03:35 PM

Can I get the front axle to connect without using the vacume cannister? I've disconnected a ton of things and am trying to do away with as many vacume lines as possible. I can't afford a Rock-Lock either and I'm switching to D44 axles front and rear from a Grand Wagoneer that are full-time axles so I'll be saving up for a set of hubs to allow me to unlock the front. I'm not too worried about it though since I can just shift into 2wd and the front axles were built for full-time use and should be able to deal with the wear, right? Having a full-time axle in front of a part-time case should cause any trouble...?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-21-1999, 07:58 PM

You could remove the shift motor from the axle tube and lock the axle half shafts together by hand. The problem is keeping the collar in that locked position with no vacuum or cable system. It won't stay there by itself.

It would be best if you could swap in a one piece axle and eliminate the disconnect altogether, while you're at it. Good Luck!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-22-1999, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe you can flip the collar around and put it in backwards such that the axle is always locked. This is obviously just a temporary, trail fix type of solution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode