exhaust - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

exhaust

I have a 4 cylinder '92 YJ and want it to have a lower exhaust note(more on the lines of a V8 then a tuner). I have read threads on this before. I don't want to buy a new muffler but that is still an option. Or could I just put a larger diameter pipe after the muffler near the tail pipe? What have you guys done to your 4 bangers? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Journeyman

Re: exhaust

Without replacing the muffler? All that comes to mind is an mp3 player with a good amp and subwoofer. I doubt that just changing the tail pipe will make much difference.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:04 PM

Welcome to the board! Scott Field! You're right next door! I'm in the west end of Belleville, and Franco618 is in the east end! Some of us are going wheeling this weekend. Want to come along? See the "Rockport in September" thread.

And I think you're right on the acoustic question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could install a Wisper tip....it will make it sound a 100 MPH faster and not hardly slow you down....

Bottom line....it's a 4cyl....nothing you can do will make it sound like a v8....

We do not judge jeeps by their sound but rather by how well they climb rocks and hills.....Any effort to make the 4 banger louder will only increase the dork factor....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:35 AM

It's a 4 banger and it will sound like one. I pulled the muffler off the back of the cat when i got hung up in my parents 4 banger yj. It was painful driving around with no muffler on that thing for a while. Best bet is just to run a stock muffler and live with it. A new exhaust will likely give you no more power gains. A while ago JP did a write up where they did a ton of "bolt on" mods to a 4 banger yj and got a whopping 10hp or something like that. They could have just about swapped in the V8 for the kind of money they put into it. If you want v8 sound put a v8 in it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
...Or could I just put a larger diameter pipe after the muffler near the tail pipe?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda like this:

Be my guest, get a coffee can and got to town. Will it help? Nope, but ricers will give you new respect! Don't forget to have it chromed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:23 AM
Veteran

LEVE, all I get in your last post is a picture, but I think you ment to give this link.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
LEVE, all I get in your last post is a picture, but I think you ment to give this link.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's the link.. I just didn't want to so 'im how to do it! You gotta have some imagination!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

From browsing the link you posted, I noticed he claims that it produces 50.3 more HP. Is this correct? Also, is that really the tuner jeep or is that a chain saw in the audio clip?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 04:37 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I think that's the actual Jeep motor revving. Sounds hot and ricy huh? But in all reality...
[ QUOTE ]
We do not judge jeeps by their sound but rather by how well they climb rocks and hills

[/ QUOTE ]

The 50.3hp gain is just extra frosting compared to the 72.3ft lb torque gain. I'm puttin this on the top of my "mod" list right away!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode