CJ3B Engine Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

CJ3B Engine Swap

Hey Guys,
i havent asked any questions on here for a while but im back for the knowledge you guys have on older jeeps.

My friend has had a stock 59 CJ3B for a few years and he had spent some time attemping to restore it and keep it all original. Well he finally realized he would be better off to build it up as his trail rig.

His plan is to swap in a new drivetrain and new axles as well as power steering. our initial thought is to swap everything from a single vehicle like a fullsize truck or maybe a wagoneer. The problem is we cant seem to figure out what the best donor vehicle would be. Any suggestions or tips? im sure there are many things we are overlooking so any help you guys may have to point us in the right direction would be great.

We are planning on working on this project over the next year and im hoping it will be a great way for me to enhance my fabrication skills as i will be the one doing all the welding, grinding, and whatnot on this one.

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:32 AM

Re: CJ3B Engine Swap

Steve,the FST and Waggy axles are gonna be a lot wider than the CJ axles.And alot of work to cut down.I do not know what kind of wheelin you are planning on,but why not go wide tracs out of a CJ? Or even narrow tracs with disks?

I am going to go with axles out of a 73 Commando in my 3B.But it is not going to be a hard core off road rig.I have my Commando for that.And for an engine,the 225 V6 or 231 V6 is a good option for a flat fender.I ran a 327 in my 2A,and it was way more than I needed.I should have gone V6.

Check out the CJ3B page.There are lots of info,parts and 3B specific venders on there.

http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

thanks,

i agree my initial thought was to use axles from a CJ7. He is planning on Running 33s so he does not need super strong axles. I think the main concern will be a complete powertrain (including engine trans and transfer case) to put in it. Is this the best way to go? or are there certain parts we should collect that we can bolt together. We figured using the engine trans and tcase from a single donor vehcile would be the easiest way to go. Power steering is also another concern as we are not really sure which way to go. I have not been able to acces the cj3b page today, there may be some sort of server problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I second the recomendation for the 231 Buick. I have one in my 5, and the short mile I have driven it it had plenty of mucle even with a 3 speed. I could chirp the tires on dry payvement in 4wd, I don't however recomend it, that is why the d18 is still sitting on the shop floor. I got quadratrac axles for mine the input and out put lines up and they are only slightly wider. Dana 44 from a q track waggie and some welding will put you on a good base.

If you want bigger, go j4000 truck, It had ofset 60 rear 44 front, D18 and T18 sweet set up. I had one for my 5 swap and got greedy and sold it. I have not seen another since.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 AM

I have built many a flat fender in my head. Here's some setups i think would be sweet.

GM Iron duke 151 4 banger with tbi injection bolted to a sm465 and dana 18 or dana 300 depending on what axles you run. I think you could also use a t4/5/176 bell housing that came behind an iron duke in an '80-'83 cj5/7, bolt the bell housing to a jeep t-18 with a dana 20 behind it and have an adapter free drive train. Steel the tbi parts off of a late 80's gm car and have a compact reliable fuel injected 4 banger. I am almost 100% + the iron duke has the some 90* pattern gm v8's have.

GM TBI 4.3, i run one in my buggy and have no complaints. Most common donor truck to pull one out of would be an s10 pickup or blazer, around here a $20-$200 can buy you a good running donor truck. Good power, smaller then a v8 so they fit better and less cooling problems then a v8. For transmissions i would go with the same transmissions as the iron duke or maybe a turbo 350 auto if you want an auto, they are about as short as you can get an auto and i believe the v6 is actually not as long as most 4 bangers.

Around here your best bet for a trail rig motor is something that is fuel injected or a carb that runs well on angles and doesn't over heat. Most of my buddies run carbed v8's in wanglers and full size trucks. They almost all overheat and definetly have trouble on steeper inclines, my little motor missing 2 cylinders with too many wires almost always walks by them as long as it is running.

For axles if you are easy on the gas a dana 30 from a cj either wide or narrow track depending on your preferance for width and a dana 44 rear with 1 piece shafts would work. If you like to push your rig harder i would put a dana 44 in the front. I would do 4 wheel discs but that's more personal preferance then anything.

I'm not sure as far as power steering. For brakes fitting a booster under the hood is hard. My buddy is running a firebird master in his cj with 4 wheel discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode