Gear setup help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Gear setup help!!

I am trying to setup gears and an ARB in my front chevy Dana 44. The Old gears had 30 thousands of pinion shim and no oil slinger. The “New” gears are used from another front axle and had 42 thousands of pinion shim with an oil slinger. I am using an oil slinger with the new setup. For my first setup attempt I used 42 thousands of Pinion shim. All pattern done with backlash within specs.

First Coast

First Drive

This gave the above pattern, which to me looked like the pinion was too close so I went to 30, then 15 and finally no pinion shims.

Each step looked a little better to me but it still looks to me like the pinion is to close even with no shims. I have heard that on used gears it is best to use the pattern on the side that was not worn in previous use. So I figure that this means in the front I should worry more about getting a good drive pattern then coast. Here are the Patterns with no shims.

Final Coast

Drive

It still looks to me like I need to move the pinion away but that is out of the cards. Can anyone who has setup gears before offer any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 02:29 PM

Re: Gear setup help!!

I would say your pinion is a little too close also. And as for setting up used gears you should always try to get as close to the original pattern as possible. Are these new used gears or just reinstalling the orginals?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM

I would also suggest playing with your carrier shims to see what change you can get from that adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

These are new used gears. Sadly I did not get a pattern before pulling them from the old housing. I am glad to hear that someone else thinks the pinion is still to close, at least I am reading the pattern right. I used an oil slinger on this pinion, and the old setup with this pinion used one. I assumed that the slinger went with the pinion. However, this housing did not originally use a slinger, so maybe that is the problem. I will try playing with the backlash and see what happens.

Has any one used a slinger in a housing that did not originally have one, if so to what effect?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Official Historian

The slinger goes between the seal and the front bearing, not between the rear bearing and the gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode