Odometer quetstion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Odometer quetstion

Just bought a sweet 95 with a 350 in it. First and pretty much only issue is tach doesnt work since it has a turbo 350 do they make an after market cable so i can use the stock odomoter. Plus need a drivers side seat belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Odometer quetstion

tach and odometer are two seperate things.

your tach pickup is somewhere by the coil....picks up the RPM's

for your speedo/odometer, you have a cable coming off your transfer case.....doesnt matter what trans you have.

if you have a factory t-case you can use the factory cable. theres a lil gear in there you can swap out to adjust speed to bigger tires, different gears etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: Odometer quetstion

i dont have a stock tranny or t-case i have a turbo 350 with 247 transfer case. so i can just buy a generic cable with the right gear on it, for the odometer/speedo? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Sorry for the intial post i have an aftermarket tach, with a non functioning speedo/odometer stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Veteran

Re: Odometer question

Well It depends. Older YJ's and CJ's used a mechanical Speedo; and all speedo cables, regardless of make, that I have seen are the same. So If you have a stock Mechanical speedo and a mechanical speedo output on the NP247 then a stock cable should work.

However, sometime around 95 Jeep went to a electronic speedometer and sender. My 95 is Electronic, but it may have been a mid year change so check yours. If you have an electronic speedo but no stock sending unit then I don't know what you need to do, also stock it may have needed a Computer to work. To complicate maters farther, your NP247 may not have a mechanical speedo output. You did not say what year or vehicle the Transfercase is from, (not that I would know what output it has but others might). If it does have an electronic output it still may not be compatable with the jeep speedo, but may still be needed for your engine's computer.

You will need to find out the Fallowing.

1. Is your Speedometer Electronic or Mechanical? To do this you will need to crawl under the dash and look at the back of the speedo for a cable or where the cable would attach.
2. Does your transfercase have mechanical or electrical speedo conection or both? If electric, is the current engine computer conected to it?

The solution to this will likley no be that hard but there are many posible compinations of parts invalved, and to propose a solution for every posability only to have one be right is not practical, so we need to know what you have. Also, There is no substitute for doing your own reseach. Try to findout what others did, Google is your friend.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

dont the 247 and the 231 have the same rear output?

i was under the impression the tail shaft and housing were exactly the same on those. (for example, an SYE for a 231 would fit the 247)

if someoen can confirm this that'd be sweet ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

if that is the case and you find that your t-case's sending unit is somehow incompatible.....maybe you can find a tailshaft from a 231 that would work....

or better yet, get a slip-yoke-eliminator (SYE) and get rid of that slip-yoke

anyone confirm this? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM
Veteran

For what it is worth I think you are correct, but I am not sure. Even if the hole in the housing is the same the gear on the output may be different. More importently as far as speedo calibration goes does the GM sender use the same frequency and type of signal as the Jeep/Dodge one? Hopefully, Someone who knows GM better can say.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i dont know what/if the 247 was used on GM vehicles

but i know jeep used the 247 too on grand cherokees...so maybe a jeep sender would work better...if the grands used a similar system

i think its the visually impaired leading the blind here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode