Tire size? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Tire size?

Ok durring the jeep trip this weekend I noticed many cool mods. But I payed most attention to tires. I currently run a AT (street tire) 30x9.5. It dose real good in the dry river and water crossings, Durt roads and mild trail rides, sucks in the mud and does ok in the snow. I like the looks of the more aggressive mud tires, any suggestions on tires, 80% is road driving. My Yokohams on my WJ have a good look but havnt lasted but 2 years.
----------------------------------------
I also just put on a shackel lift 3/4" (it was free just buy the nuts and bolts). I only wanted to go to a 31x10.50; however I noticed many dayly drivers/ trail jeeps running 30x9.50 or 30x10.50. They had a awsome look (my be that they were Thornburds)and a comfortable stance. Any advice for others out there. I dont know what size to run now 30" or 31"? I do know that tires are expensive and make or break the ride...I also know that I dont want the mini van tires like I have now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 12:19 PM

Re: Tire size?

I still think the BF Goodrich All Terrain is still one of the best all around tires. I have Wrangler MT/R's on my CJ and have been very happy with those also. Check into the General Grabber MT. They are more mud orientated, but very reasonably priced. I've had a set before and had good luck with them, not bad on the road either for an MT. If it was my rig, I'd stay with the 31's. Rick
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 01:03 PM

If you are looking for a better wheeling tire a mud terrain may be the ticket. Kuhmo mud terrains and timberline mt's are both decent cheap mud terrains that will last over 30k if not more and will make some noise going down the road. BFG at ko's are also a really decent all terrain but they are expensive.

30's or 31's will probably rub on with sway bar/ track bars disconected but it won't be end of the world/ destroy your tires rubbing. If rubbing bothers you a 1" body lift or tj flares should be decent clearance for 31's. I know we can rub the 31" ltb's on our yj with .5" shackles and 1.5" super lift springs, it does flex like crazy and the rubbing isn't going to ruin the tire.

I personally would rather have a low jeep that flexes ok with a rear locker then a jeep that flexes like a slinky and doesn't have a locker. 31's, a rear locker, and some seat time in a jeep can go tons of places. Look at jim lou he doesn't even have a rear locker but he can get his cj on 31's just about anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you want a lot of variety with about 1/2-2/3 the cost ..go with 235/75r15. You'll lose about .25" of ride height. They're available in any variety of treads that you can think of. 30" tires don't have too many common applications in OEM and effectively start the higher-$$ end of tire purchasing in LT ratings.

If snow is your primary challenge, I'd think in a tall and skinny mindset. Max ground pressure. I encounter flooding and occassional blizards around here so they serve my needs well on my SE. My wife has BFG 33x9.5r15 on her TJ ..but she does 18k a year (50k on her current set - probably be shot @60k+/-).

You can get over 50k of life out of BFG Mall-Terrains ..but you pay for the privilege. Her tires are $150 ..no matter where you get them. IIRC, only BFG makes that size. Others offer 33x10.5r15 <shrug>

Laramie Trailcutters R/T are a good daily driver tread that's plenty aggressive for most things that you'll encounter without any noise. It's a 29" tire in the 235/75r15 (most 30" tires are 29.5") and cheap if you look around a bit (I have a Laramie warehouse/distributor in town ..so they cost me around $40 cash and carry)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

BFG's last forever onroad and are good offroad for about half their life. If you are on alot of rocks they probably won't make you happy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 08:55 PM

I put BFG All-Terrain 31x10.50 15s on my TJ this Spring and truly love them. They're quiter than the stockers (which really surprised me because they're much more aggressive than my stockers!) and they're awesome in snow and I've had them in pretty deep mud (not mud holes) and they've been very good. They're wearing well, also. I've not had them rub on anything on my 04 TJ. They make the rig look awesome, too. I think Jeep should be using these as their OEMs!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 04:46 PM

I have 30" Widetrack Radials on my 92 YJ and I rub if I turn all the way but one question I got. Are these tires affecting my speed? Cuz I can get to 55/60 mph in 5th gear.(5 gear manual tranny) Is this right or should I be regearing for that little in tire diameter?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Can I assume that you mean your speedometer reading [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

..and as far as stock tires go ..they aren't small diameter tires.

When you say "I can get 55/60 in 5th gear" ..does that mean that's the most you can get ..or that "How do I manage to reach this blinding speed?" (not a likely assertion or query ..but you can see how you need to organize your questions a little).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2006, 08:59 PM

yes on the speedo. But is it going to be revving high at 65 on the highway? because it is a 4 cylinder. Also for that should I regear my diffs for increasing the tire size to 30
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 30" Widetrack Radials on my 92 YJ. Are these tires affecting my speed? Cuz I can get to 55/60 mph in 5th gear.(5 gear manual tranny) Is this right or should I be regearing for that little in tire diameter?

[/ QUOTE ]

AS a point of reference, when I put the 31x10.50 15s on my TJ, my odomter is now off by seven percent and my speedo is off by five percent. As examples, for every 14 miles my odometer tells me I've traveled, I've actually traveled 15. If my speedo tells me I'm gong 60, I'm actually going 63. I can definately tell the difference in acceleration (it's like trying to pedal in 6th gear instead of 5th on a 10-speed bike) but I've decided I don't do enough radical off road work to worry about the loss in low-end punch. It's pretty expensive to put new gears in (I'm just a poor boy) but for those that may be more serious, perhaps re-gearing is appropriate.

Just food for thought. that and a buck gets a cup of coffee at 7-11! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode