OT--- Dewalt D28402 Grinder for $59.00 at Lowes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

OT--- Dewalt D28402 Grinder for $59.00 at Lowes

I know most of you guys are cheap bastards like myself. I thought I would pass this on. I just bought a Dewalt D28402 angle grinder for $59.00 at Lowes. It is a 10 amp, 4.5 inch, paddle switch model and even comes in a case. I saw it the other day and looked it up on Lowes site and the price was $89.00 and when I put in my zip the price changed to $59.00. Apparently this is the new regualr price at my local store even though the 7 amp model is $59.97. I know it's not a metabo or even a milwaukee but I believe the price vs. performance can't be beat in this case. BTW, it will join my much abused and hotter than the sun Makita 6.4 amp 4.5 grinder. If you need a grinder check your local Lowes for this deal or what seems like a deal to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Re: OT--- Dewalt D28402 Grinder for $59.00 at Low

The Harbor Freight 4.5" grinders at around $17 are still the best buy in my book, but the last time I went to pick up a couple they were $30.00! Got to catch them on sale, which comes around every other month or so. The HF 4" grinders are $15 on sale, but not worth that much IMO.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 PM

I rather have an HF than a Dewaly anyway. Dewalt has gone down hill the pass couple years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Way Outta Control

One beauty of the cheap HF ones - you can have several for the same investment as one "good one." And when they do wear out, it's not a big loss.

Very true - the 4.5" is much much better than the 4".

I hate having to keep changing the wheel, from aggressive cutters, to flap sanders, to wire wheels.

I keep several HF 4.5's loaded with different cutting media, then just grab the one I want.

Usually I keep a solid cutter wheel, a 120 flap disc, another with a new 30 flap, another with 30 flap disc that's pretty well worn (not quite as aggressive as a new one,) and a wire wheel.

I find the flap discs are the most useful. A good source of them is HF.

I also have "big Bertha" a 7" HF grinder - powerful, aggressive - and downright scarey! One slip and it would take your leg off without even slowing down. It's so heavy and powerful it's not easy to keep it under good control.

And - a good quality Dremmel grinder always seems to come in handy.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:55 AM

I built a rack to hold five grinders; one with a wire brush, one with a steel wheel, one with an aluminum wheel, one with a wafer wheel, and my faithfull old Makita with a flap disk. And I keep a couple new HF grinders around as spares. That's six HF grinders for about what the Makita cost.

Sometimes I have to change between 120 and 80 grit flap disks, and sometimes have to swap the wire brush for a stainless steel one, but mostly a wheel stays on the grinder until it's worn out.

And I think that makes the wheels last longer, because every time one is remounted it's a little off center. They seem to wear faster until they're worn round and concentric and back in balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode