Help needed - rookie moves on 8.8 swap costing me - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Help needed - rookie moves on 8.8 swap costing me

Hello all,

I've started working on my 8.8 swap on my 91 yj and have run into a problem.

I decided to pull the axels so I could get rid of the dust shields. They were beat up and I needed to replace them. I noticed the short side was a bit harder to get out. While they were out I went ahead and took my torch to the factory mounts. In hindsight I probably should have put the axels back in as it would have help prevent what happened. The long side is fine but I seemed to have warped the short side somewhat. (Either that or it was warped before I started which is why it was harder to get out). I now can't get the axel back in as would be expected. I've tried to use my torch to relieve any stresses and pull it back into alignment but that hasn't worked yet. I don't even know if this can be fixed in a normal garage shop or if it can be done at all. As far as I can tell, my options are:

1. Keep messing with heat, hammer, etc. to try to straighten it out.

2. Drill out the plugs holding in the tube and try to get a new tube (don't know if it can be done)

3. Start over with a new assembly and have someone swap the gears from this one (the one I have is 4.10, had to drive 3 hours to get it - there are no 4.10s locally)

4. Admit I can't handle it and buy a pre-assembled unit from currie or others.

5. Sell the Jeep.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I might try. I need to get my Jeep running, it's been down the whole summer. Thanks for your time.

-JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:11 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Help needed - rookie moves on 8.8 swap costing me

Sounds like that short side tube may have been bent prior to axle removal. The strength of the axle probabaly kept it from showing it's true colors until you pulled the shaft.
Plus, if the housing is bent, the shaft could also be bent depending on how this came to be in the first place. I doubt torching off the brackets caused the problem.

If you have the $$, buy another housing locally and have the 4.10s put into it. This will cover you if both the axle shaft and housing are bent. I personally would stay away from replacing the tube. You still have to find and purchase the part, plus the labor to replace it, hjopefully not to find that the shaft is bent too.

Don't sell the Jeep, it's the end of the summer wheeling season, so keeping it around now won't hurt any worse than going a summer without. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like a reasonable explanation and solution. Don't worry, I will never ever ever sell my Jeep under any circustances. I'm just frustrated at the current state of things.

-JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Help needed - rookie moves on 8.8 swap costing

You might also take the axle to a shop and have the tubes straightened on a press. I'd consider that. My criteria would be dependent upon how much they'd charge vs how much another used 8.8 would cost from your local wrecking yard. Since you've already got it out of the vehicle, the costs are less that if the shop had to R&R the axle. So, you save on labor costs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Pull the long side and insert it in the short side. If it slides in I would put my money on a short side shaft insted of the whole axle.

I have seen more bent shafts than bent housings. Every 8.8 I have worked on required a puller for one side or the other.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like you have a bent housing. I have seen that a million times. Easy way to tell is just look through the tubes. You will see if they are bent. C-clip axles are easy to come out and should just slide out. No reak force should be used. Id call the yard and tell them the housing is bent, they may have another housing they will give you. Even if you have to swap the gears.

I never measured it, but i wonder if the drum brake rear is the same width and just would need the discs swaped on. The drum brake rears would be cheaper if you have to buy another.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

It is a bent housing. You can see it. I didn't notice in the yard or when I got it home which is why why I thought I warped it when I cut the mounts with the torch. At this point, I've got more money than time (although not much of either) so I will probably go for a different assembly altogether. I'll just check it better this time and make sure that the axles come in and out before I do any modifications. Most yards offer some type of warrenty so if I don't alter it, I can probably swap it if there is a problem. My parts from MORE don't come until Friday so I won't loose any time if I can pick something up early this week.

-JL
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Regarding Rio Grande's suggestion about putting the long axle in the short side, I did that, couldn't get the long side in either - bent housing. I also looked through the housing - the thing is absolutely tweaked.

-JL
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Wa, and after I thought about my response I am not sure it would tell you anything anyway, the 8.8 if I remember has a shoulder and unless that shoulder is contacting the bearings everything would be sloppy anyway, So if I steered you wrong I appolajise.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

"DUH" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

i was thinking the same thing, but i figured maybe the axles were only a 1/2 shorter/longer. So i kept my mouth shut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode