torque specs ring gear amc 20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Stranger

torque specs ring gear amc 20

anyone have the factory torque spec for the bolts of the ring gear to the carrier in a amc 20 rear end. In the Jeep CJ Rebuilder's Manual by Moses Ludel on page 283 it say's to torque the bolts evenly in a cross pattern in three steps bring torque to 105 lb-ft the jeep/amc factory spec. But I think this may be a misprint because looking at general torque specs for 7/16 bolts it is 40 to 65. The bolts on the dana 44 are speced at 55-65 and I would assume the bolts are about the same size. does anyone have the sepc for this from jeep.? and If I already torqued them to 105 should i get new bolts and replace them. I don't want these braking off because I have over torqued them. no good inside the diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Veteran

Re: torque specs ring gear amc 20

I have had the same problem. Yukon gears install manual avilable online says 65 ft-lbs. However, other places online say 105 ish. I asked about this a couple of days ago and Jim was kind enough to look up this up in his FSM here is a link to the post. link
Sadly I only torqued to 65 ft-lbs so I need to remove the bolts and clean out the locktight and retorque.

I think the reason that the bolts are tighter then standard torque for 7/16" bolts is because they are one use bolts that are deformed on torqueing, like some head bolts. Most Dana 44's use 10 3/8" bolts. While the AMC20 uses 8 7/16" bolts. Note that the strength of bolts in tension and shear is proportional to the square of diameter so a 7/16" bolt is 1.36 times as strong as a similar grade 3/8" bolt in tension and shear. The torsional strength of a 7/16 bolt is proportional to the 4th power of the diameter. So a 7/16" bolt is 1.85 times as strong as a 3/8" in torsion. So a torque spec of 105 vs. 65 is not unreasonable.

Many things do not scale in a linear fashion, for example a one inch wide by 1/8 inch thick stripe of metal is 8 times as strong as a stripe 1/16" thick by one inch wide when loaded on the wide side. Provided ofcoarse that the metals are of the type and tensile strength.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode