pinion shims - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Stranger

pinion shims

I got a genuine gear master install kit for my amc 20 rear end in a 1985 jeep cj7.kit # 35-2025 it is supose to have pinion shims as well as carrier shims bearing etc. but I think the pinion shims in this kit are for on the pinion shaft because they are small and marked sk4 . As far a I know the pinion shims go behind the inner pionion cup not between the bearing and the head of the pinion gear. Am I right is this kit paked wrong. does any one know where I can get pinion shims by them selves, and can any one tell me what the sk numbers on the pakaging is about I have looked at numerouse pictures of kits on the net and they all have diffent #'s in the pakage over the shims?
Thanks Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: pinion shims

Have you ever set up gears before?

If not...stop right now and find someone who does it for a living....trust me, it's worth the money....

However, if you really want to test the "No questions asked" warranty on the gears, then give it a try....I've done it....and I'll never do it again.,....

Regarding your original question....I recall two sets of shims, one of the pinion and another for the carrier....

The pinion shims go between the cup (race) and the case....

I would suggest using your old bearing as the test fit bearing...take a motto tool or something similar and open up the inner part so that it sides easy on the pinion shaft....it's a lot easier than beating the pinion out every time....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Stranger

No I havent done it before, but everyone who does it for a living had to do it for the first time. I have a ton of info on how to do it but it still seems to be a little lacking in some respects. My main concern now is getting the right pinion shims and my concern is the ones in this pakage which is supose to be for this axel don't seem right.
If I blow it up I will pay somone else to do it. but I ahve done everything else on my truck and am going to do this as well.
Any way anyone used this kit and had the same problem.
Thanks Brain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Veteran

Both your current posts sound exactly like what I went trough 2 weeks ago. My install kit purchased from ebay came with 2 sets of shims in bags. One shim set had two rings which interlocked. The other was just shims and labeled sh75. Both shim sets were too small for the pinion and are alittle small for the carrier but will work. I contacted the seller on Ebay and they say they are sending new shims.The kit was vacume pacted to a chunk of light blue card board, is yours the same?

The pinion shims go between the race and housing as you stated. I hope I get the right shims this time but the seller has already said something about them being an odd size. The fallowing link is the best deal I have found on mini install kits which have shims. http://nationaldrivetrain.com/shopsi...tml/page9.html
I am hoping the new shims the ebay seller are sending are correct so I have not ordered yet. Like you I have never setup gears before but at $150 for a set of new gears and the local shop wanting $500 to set them up, I figure even if it takes a couple of trys I will be money ahead, not to mention the value of learning something new. I hope this works out for you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Stranger

That looks like a great price provided they are the right shims let me know if they are the right ones. I did find a site with the proper shim seperatly but they are a little more money check it out. at http://ratech.stores.yahoo.net/amcaxleparts.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 02:38 PM

If you didn't lean to do this from someone that knows exactly what they are doing, HAVE A PROFESSIONAL DO IT!

This is nothing to play with. We are talking about nuking your differental and possably the housing if you don't get the right the first time!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Stranger

For someone who tends to screw with everything I am supprised to get this comment from You. I have done a fair bit of reserch and just don't see the hard part to setting up gears. shure it is time consuming and tedious. this I understand but with patience and perserverence I think it is more then doable. I just don't see the rocket science.
Brian
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 07:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Do all the research you want, get all thenotes you can, gather all the proper tools and spend almost as much as it would cost to have it done. But then your beter off the second time round of setting up your gears. Note this: Setting up gears can often be an art in itself. The numbers don't always work out like they are suppose to. and if you get it wrong it can be very costly! The advise given is just to save you money incase you don't get it set up just right. But on the other hand, there's no one saying you can't learn how. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Jut that it's easy to get it wrong, and costly if you do.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Way Outta Control

Book learnin' is fine, but there's no replacement for hands on experience. If you've done your research, have the tools and are patient, long suffering, and detailed you can do the work. But beware, you can ruin a gear set in as little as 10 miles if they are not set up correctly.

If the gears aren't set up properly you may/may not get a gear whine. But in any case the gears will build up heat. Now gears are hardened to a tolerance depth below the gear surface. If the heat builds up there is a reason and that is because of improper mesh. This heat radiates out to the rest of the differential and axle system. By this time it's too late. The heat has already destroyed the heat treatment from the factory, and the gears are most likely grinding themselves apart.

I've set up gearing only a couple of times, and I can tell you from my own experience that there is a HUGE pucker factor doing this work. Were I to do it again, I'd still be sitting there scratching my head and measuring three-four times, checking the gear pattern, double/triple checking the gear pattern.

It would still carry a pucker factor for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode