Leaky soft top? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Apollo732

Leaky soft top?

If this topic has been delt with before I am sorry.. I tried to search first but I could not find anything. I am a newbie though!!

My question is, If it rains very much or very hard my (soft)top seems to leak from the seams. I bought some tent sealer but it didn't seem to stop it. Any products that really do work out there or any advice would be appreciated very much.

One more thing, is there any product out there to deal with the meldew smell inside the jeep..

Thanks in advance
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Leaky soft top?

Get yourself some wax, melt it and drip it into the seams. Use a heatgun/hair dryer to help work the wax into the seams. It's not foolproof, but it helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

how did you apply the tent sealer?

many tent sealers need to be applied from the inside of the seam......others need to be used on the outside.....hopefully you followed directions. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

...but then again...my tents always leak....so dont take my advice [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 05:59 AM

The mildew smell seems to go with the Jeep. Leaving it in the sun with the doors off will clear it out, but as soon as it gets damp the smell will be back.

The standard remedy for mildew is a dilute solution of laundry bleach in water, but some soft tops specifically say not to use that on them. If you don't have information for your top, I'd advise against using bleach.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Apollo732

Yeah, I put it on the inside of the top but, it was like a roll on applicator and not very much for the price.. I thought there used to be a spray? oh well I guess its the perfect excuse to park it in the garage every night..

Thanks to all of you who replied..
Oh, one more thing, with winter coming on whats the best solution to clean my windows when they get icy and snowy??

thanks
B
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:24 AM

Lots of water. Cold tap water is warm enough. You want to melt the ice and float as much solid debris off as possible. Then a big soft-bristle brush and more water to get the rest off.

My favorite parts house got me some car wash brushes. They're about 2" by 8" with lots of soft bristles three or four inches long. They carry a lot of water, and have never made noticible scratches in the windows.

I turn the hose on the top above the window so that there's a sheet of water pouring down it, and then go over it lightly with the brush. If they're really dirty I spray them with Simple Green - your basic 409, Mr. Clean-type detergent/degreaser/cleaner before brushing. Anything more agressive and you're asking for scratches.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:21 AM
Apollo732

Thank you very much Jim.
B
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Old Hand

AS for the soft top...dont they all leak? I had a '70 Bronco that I put a soft top on and hated it!!! It leaked around the doors and ripped where the door latches were. but my biggest pet peeve was the Ice forming on the inside of the doof when it was humid and dropped below freezing. I finaly went bact to a hard top and havent been happier. If cost is an issue keep a good look out for one, Ive bought 2 for less then $80.00 each. In fact i might know where their is one for cheep if you need.
--------------------------------
As for the smell; try "fabreeze." I had a rat nest in my heaterbox and that did the best job (all though temporary).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode