1977 Jeep 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 03:14 PM
hooey

1977 Jeep 258

Why is it bad to remove spark plug wires #3 & #5 from this engine? Also can you put a dist. with points on this engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: 1977 Jeep 258

I've been wondering, why would you want to remove spark plug wires #3 & #5?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 06:45 PM
hooey

Comon" guys, I'm just a "female" please give me some help! I bought this Jeep as a new toy about a year ago. It was running for a while, don't know what I did wrong. I read in a manual that said don't disconnect the #3 & #5 plugs {6cyl) but I did. Plus who knows what else! But, please..... can anyone tell me what disconnecting the #3 & #5 plugs have to do with it? I would appreciate any help you all can give me. Thanks,Hooey [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 06:59 PM
hooey

[ QUOTE ]
I've been wondering, why would you want to remove spark plug wires #3 & #5?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did it to all of them. I am not sure of what I may have done wrong. I don't know what was meant by not disconecting those two. (important,it read). There must be some machanic out there who knows what it meant. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

maybe they are easily confused with one-an-other....or maybe it said not to remove them for the perticular job in the repair manual?

theres no reason you cant remove spark plug wires....or spark plugs for that matter.

no ill will come of it.

just make sure you install them back on correctly
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:32 PM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
Comon" guys, I'm just a "female" please give me some help! ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't give me that crap.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

You got a brain, you can buy a manual and start learnin' like everyone else. Asking questions is a good start, but figuring out what to do with the answer is as important as knowing the answer.

You may want to read THIS THREAD...

Don't ever try to pass that "I'm just a girl" crap on me again. It wouldn't hurt to fill out your profile.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:42 PM
Old Hand

Why would you want to put an unreliable system as points and condenser on your jeep??? You could upgrade to a HEI distributer. As for the sparkplugs, you may want to remove them one at a time to do diagnoses work, but then you need to put them back on the engine. Good luck
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 08:14 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Sorry Hooey, sometimes these guys, especially Leve, can get a little rough with newbies.

Your manual is correct, it would be bad to remove #3 and #5 at the same time. The six cylinder Jeep motor, although very stout, has one major weakness. If those two plug wires are removed and off at the same time, It could cause the engine to become depressed and not want to start.

If I were you, I would rush back out to your Jeep and immediately apologize for taking both wires off. If you took the spark plugs out too, you can re-insert them, but be sure to talk to the Jeep as you do this. With the plug wires and spark plugs out the Jeep could be very tempermental and lash out at you. Don't worry though, once they get to this point they simply have to vent... they don't really know what they're saying, so don't take it personal.

Now, your Jeep may have also caught a cold from having the wires off for too long. If the left rear wheel (that's the round thing that it rolls on) feels cool to the touch, there's a good chance your Jeep has caught a cold. Wrap several blankets around the Jeep, espcially the seating area. You should then dillute two Tylenol Cold and Flu capsules (12hr only), in one gallon of warm water. Give the Jeep and nice sponge bath and don't forget to continue to talk to it. Do this three times a day for 2 and 1/8th days and your Jeep should be good as new.

Good luck with you wires. Take your time and brush your hair in between installing each wire. When you've got your Jeep healed up, take a seat and put your feet on the dash. You may also want to point at objects outside the Jeep while eating greasy food and touching the glass with each point. If your Jeep is a female, it will crave this type of attention... plus you may want to store all of the clothing your currently not wearing, in the back seat. This will help prevent any future cold or flu epidemics.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 08:35 PM

The short answers are, 1st, there is no harm in disconnecting #3 and #5 wires per se, and 2nd, yes, you could put a points ignition system on your Jeep but few people would think it a good idea. Pay no attention to the kidding hooey. I sent you a PM you may find helpful.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 PM

Always glad to have new Jeepers and new board members!!!

All BS Aside.
Here are some tips from a guy with 30 years in the trade...

First off, get yourself a little 'Tool Bag' (boxes rattle) for the Jeep 'Must Haves'.
Good place to keep your Jeep tools and spare parts.

Believe me, in no time you will need a full size storage locker to keep the 'Extras' crap...
Tow straps, anit-sieze compound, duct tape, jack handle, Martini shaker![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
And NEVER take a cigar from Jim_Lou and Frank! Those things will turn you green![img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
-----------------

Newbie info.

Take an afternoon to read through your service/repair manual.
Haynes #50020 is an excellent choice.
Use 'Post-It' notes sticking up with different things you find for quick reference bookmarks.
A zip lock bag makes the book 'dry' enough to take with you.
(A big zip lock bag with clear sides will keep the greasy finger prints off your instructions when working!)

Remove, plugs one at a time so you don't get the wires mixed up.
Once you screw the firing order up, it's a pain to get straight when you are new at this.

Take a good look at the plug. Lot's of crap and you have a problem.
If it's just dirty and a little discolored, you are probably good to go.
Check your service manual for color pictures of spark plugs with different things wrong with them.

Don't pry down on the center electrode of the plug when you gap the plugs. (No matter what you have been taught)

The center electrode is connected to a resistor pile in the center of the plug that can be easily cracked.
Use needle nose pliers or some other tool and grab onto the ground electrode to set gap.

Use a little thread anti-seize on the plug threads before inserting new plug.
A little dielectric grease on the top and porcelain part of the plug wire will help you get the boots off the next time, and keep the water and crud out.
(Small tubes of both are available at any discount auto parts store for just a couple of bucks)

If you drop a spark plug, throw it away, don't try and use it.
It's too easy to break the carbon pile resistor in the center of the plug when you drop one on hard surfaces. (hard, like it clanging on every engine & frame component on it's way to a concrete driveway...)

Tightening new plugs, screw them in finger tight, then use a spark plug socket and turn them 1/8 turn more.
This is plenty tight. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN.
(Common Newbie mistake, cranking on plug wrench)

Put the plug wire back on and you are done with that cylinder, move to the next one.

It will go pretty fast once you get the hang of doing it correctly.
----------------------

'74 -'77 has a Prestolite ignition in it.
The Prestolite ignition is a 'Stand Alone' and there are no upgrades for it.

Prestolite ignitions are weak and trouble prone.
The distributor has a plastic vacuum advance (look for a rubber vacuum line going into the side of the distributor).
Check that plastic body closely for cracks.

If you find cracks, let me know and we'll walk you through an ignition upgrade...

It's good to replace that vacuum line when you do major tune ups. Saves splitting ends and cracked or collapsed lines while you are out somewhere.

When you put the vacuum new line on the distributor, don't hook it to the carburetor right away...
Use your mouth and suck on the clean end of the line, try and draw a vacuum.
If you can't hold vacuum on the line, the diaphragm in the vacuum advance is ruptured and it's time for a new distributor. (Vacuum advance alone will cost as much as rebuilt distributor)
-----------------------

When you replace the distributor cap & rotor let us know and we'll help confuse you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode