Let's see those garages! Here's Pnut's (lots pics) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Let\'s see those garages! Here\'s Pnut\'s (lots pics)

Iíve had quite a few comments over the last few years regarding my garage. Also, quite a few requests for more info and pictures. So here we go, a quick summary of my garage. Yes I spent tons of time and too much money on it, but it was worth it. I did all the work myself including gas lines and electrical hookup. The walls are 2x6 with fiberglass insulation, then 2 layers of foamboard on top of that, finally topped off with drywall. Full ceiling insulation and drywall too.

First up is a video from the middle of the garage so you get a feel for it. The garage is 24í wide x 36í deep x 9í tall. Two single garage doors, but the wide and tall ones. I have no problem to drive my Jeep in with 35ís and I have many inches left to go taller.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJS5-EDCdOM"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pJS5-EDCdOM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

Here is a main view picture. The floor coating: It is Sherwin Williams Tile-clad. 2-Part epoxy coat. It took 4 gallons for my garage with 2 coats put on with a roller. It is really stinky and touchy to apply. The surface must be perfectly clean and dry to get good adhesion. I cleaned with muratic acid. Total floor coating cost about $250.

This is the main workbench I made. It has a 3/8Ē steel top on it so I can weld on it if I want. The top plate is attached to the particle board top with recessed screws to keep the surface flat. The Vice is attached directly to the bench. Bench is screwed to the wall studs for stability (but transmits noise into the house quite well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). You can see I piped electricity right into the bench. Height is for standing.

I like to keep my tools organized. I used the thicker pegboard from Lowes. I also bought these small plastic clips called Mclips which hold the metal tool hangers tight to the wall.

This small parts bin is handy Ė attached directly to the wall. I had to notch out the pegboard.

Over near the door, I installed this washtub. I used leftover material to make a small shelf for the soap. Good for dirty stuff, and even cleaning housepaint rollers, etc.

This water is treated (I have a well) water, hot and cold. I wish it were at the front end of the garage though. Nice for washing the cars in the driveway without spots and with nice warm water.

These heavy storage shelves are only $55 at Sams club. Very large, powdercoated, and hold tons of stuff. You can see the small plastic bins I use to hold various parts, tools, hose, and wire. I got them as scrap from work [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I built this shelf when I was 10 with my dad (from a kit). Still serving itís purpose.

I claimed these plastic racks from someoneís garbage at the side of the road to hold oil (each of the 3 cars I have use different oil). The trophys are from local shows this year for my Jeep.

Lights (3 x 8í long) are high intensity fluorescent. 100watt instead of the normal 13 watt ones. They stay lit in cold weather at 100% (unlike normal ones). They weigh about 50lbs each, and cost about $60 each, but worth every penny.

I made this little shelf from leftover materials. It holds all my regular chargers and phone. There is a little power strip underneath it.

Every garage needs ear plugs and a good fire extinguisher.

The heater is a ventless natural gas unit which I got for xmas from the inlaws. About $150 if I remember right.

I have 2 of these floor drains. The drain out to the woods using perforated pipe. Great for washing out the garage every spring.

I also built this small grinder bench. Attached to the wall too. Good place to store a few tools

The hose reel is great, but the compressor is WAAY to noisy. Going to be selling it soon and looking for a non-oilless unit (normal piston type). Itís so noisy, I canít run it without earplugs, and canít run it when the kids are sleeping in the basement.

I used some leftover closet racks to hold garage towels and garage clothes

When I run out of workbench space or when doing a specific project, I use sawhorses and an old tabletop for a small bench.

The cheap Lowes hooks attached to studs gives lots of hanging space.

I put all of the car washing stuff in this cabinet to keep the dirt and grinding dust off them

Finally, more hooks hanging stuff on the wall out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Let\'s see those garages! Here\'s Pnut\'s (lots p

Thanks Matt....you gave me some good ideas.....

One question....how come you didn't go with recesed lights?

We are about 6 weeks away from our demo....I'll be using some of your ideas in my garage....they one I want the most is most likely the hardest to do....a sink...no where to drain the water.....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

mines going through a remodel....but the remodel is on hold as my roof (was leaking) and bathroom were more important..

right now i have it gutted. removed a bunch of old walls and rotten wooden work benches......next im going to sweep and vacuum.....then acid wash and fill in cracks in the floor...then some sort of paint for the floors....paint the walls.... partially frame in the back, drywall and make a seperate workshop area...fix the doors.....fix the windows.......

so yea...nothing to see here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Recessed lights seem to be more pinpoint task lights which don't throw the light far. They are also incandescent, which uses more energy, creates more heat, and is more yellow light. I wanted bright full spread showroom brightness lights. The flourescent is very white light, and throws light very evenly and far (into corners, etc). These are very bright too which makes garage work MUCH easier (seeing threads, brackets, holes, etc).

The best lighting IMHO.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Official Historian

Here's ours so far. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1537615-HPIM1317rs.JPG (179.1 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Veteran

Re: Let\'s see those garages! Here\'s Pnut\'s (lots pics)

Yeah right! Like I am going to embarass myself by posting pix of my humble garage after seeing Pnut's "Garage-Mahal"! It is very nice Pnut, I just can't figure out how you keep it so "emergency Room" clean! Do you have a wife and/or kids? It seems like whenever I clean up my garage, my wife messes it back up. (Yeah that's it...my wife messes it up...) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:48 AM

That is really a terrific workplace! I was about to ask if the floor gets dangerously slick when there's oil spilled on it. Silly me! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So how do you store parts and materials that might be usefull some day? That is my biggest problem at the moment.

I prefer cabinets to shelves for storage, because I make so much grit and dust that it quickly covers every exposed surface. And when I did the walls I used 1/2" particle board instead of drywall, so that I could hang stuff more easily. In the end I put up lots of shelves, which I attached to the studs anyway, so drywall would have worked as well for almost everything.

For a couple of weeks now I've been doing a major cleanup. I took everything out of the stock racks, pitched a bunch, put most back, and built another rack for short pieces. Then I cleaned everything off the big bench onto a 4X8 table, pitched some more, and put away most of what's left. Then did the same with the big tool cabinet and shelf above it. Today I'm going to try to do the two small benches. Then the stock bins under the benches, the shelves above them, and then . . .

It's never going to look as good as Pnut's, but some time in my life, I hope it will be presentable again. One of my big mistakes was that I moved into it in January. It was nasty weather and I pretty much put things in places similar to where they came from in the old shop, which wasn't well organized due to lack of space. There was plenty of room then, but when that was filled, there was no rational system for where things should go. Eventually there was STUFF pushed and piled everywhere.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Veteran

Just getting ready to break ground on our new house. I get 1000 sq feet of garage. I am going to have drains in the floor, epoxy painted floor, lots of electrical outlets, and lots of lighting. Looking forward to seein all the good ideas here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode