Gota love the little things - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Gota love the little things

Now the "major things" are "done" on my buggy it's time for all the little details and fixing the "cobbles" that were done to get my buggy going. Right now i'm working on making an electrical pannel to mount my computer, ingition moduel, relay fues boxes, ect. on and cleaning up my disaster for a wiring harness. It's nice to have smaller go out for a couple hours and mess with them for a couple hours/ nights projects.

What are some of the little things you are working on? Would you rather work on a major build up or the little tweaks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:20 AM
Veteran

Re: Gota love the little things

When you are working on a major buildup it LOOKS like you are making a lot of progress. But the detail stuff makes you feel good when you finally get it finished! It's just not as impressive to your buddies when they stop buy your garage for a beer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 AM

I'm still sorting out the results of my engine fire. The newly rebuilt 258 is back in place. Last night I set the distibutor, ran plug wires, installed plugs, made and crimped battery cables, and installed my headers. Hopefully she'll be running again tonight or Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

LIttle things?...you want to know about the little things? Let me tell you about the 'little things'....

Having complete a swap of a SBC 5.7L FI TBI into my 84 CJ....which ended up being a frame-up restore.....it's those 'little things' that are taking longer....the good news is that I can now drive the jeep while I do them.....here is my short list of 'little things'.......

Dash
Vent Lines
Reroute front brake line
Replace front calipers
Reconfigure twin sticks (cable shifters?)
Reroute tranny shifter
Park/Neut switch
Getting wipers to work
Roll cage
Center Console
Rear Seat
New Seat Belts
Front and Reat bumpers
New cross member
Skid plates
Longer spring perches

And next week I hope to wash the jeep.........

And I'm about to tear down my garage and build a new larger one.....I want mine to at least look as good as PNut's garage.........

What were you saying about the 'little things'?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I don't know, Dawgy, that's a pretty lopsided list of 'little things'. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Replace calipers. Yes, little thing.

Dash. not so much.

Center console. Maybe.

new Cross member. ummm..... I'm not so sure.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

For me it was inspection day today, so the YJ now has a nice safety inspection sticker for another year. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I've spent the past few days putting new ball joints in my D30.

Then I think I'll finally do my flush tail lights this year. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Right now for the CJ its the little things i am doing.

The house is the big project.

I'd like to build another slightly bigger jeep (i have most of the big parts), then restore CJ. But the house just keeps asking for more. Im also waiting to see what is going to happen with a road course they are trying to build locally. If that actually happens, i'll probablly not build another jeep, and put something together for the road course. Proabably a miata with a v8. A new version of the poor mans cobra, when they used to take heallys and MG and stuff V8's into them.

Heres the list for the CJ.

Build a new front bumper and move the winch on top of the crossmember, I dont do mud any more and that bumper was built for the jersey pines soup.

New springs, mine are shot out badly.

Install my 60 chevy pickup taillights, retro and flush.

First thing though is figure out why its running like crap. Probably a carb issue. I cant seem to get more then two years out of a rebuild on the carb. Probably from sitting to much. Todays gas sucks butt.

The big list for the house.

Install new oil tank. It started leaking and we pumped it out and now i just have to paint the wall behind it and bring the new one down the steps.

Install new basement window, that i put in last year, but we broke the glass carring the old oil tank up the steps.

Rebuild the back bedroom. And i mean rebuild it. Who ever was the idiot that added that bedroom on was a moron. Didnt do a damn thing right. So the whole bedroom is going to come off and be rebuilt. To big of a job to do myself, so im waiting on prices.

The wife wants a deck, to bad for her. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

And then late this winter or spring start making plans for the pole barn. My dad is getting ready to start getting out of buisness and sell the shop, so we will need a place to play and him to still do some work.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Old Hand

I think that everyone has their own deffinition of little things. I just like working on my jp. what I have noticed is that as I finish my "big" things, my little things grow in priority, and new things become small. When my altenator went bad it was a big thing to fix, while to this day repainting the jeep is a little thing.
I digress, Its all a big when finances and kids are the priority...That is why my jp is and always been a big project (hobby), that has saved our house. You see when
I get borred I tend to tear out walls in the house, with the jeep I just start working on it instead.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Way Outta Control

I have to keep reminding her the "little things" are the best.

Maybe someday she'll believe me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode