Battery Charger - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Battery Charger

Seeing as the CJ hasn't been driven much Lately, It's doing my Optima no good.

I have a Sears Battery Charger with the following Specs:

10amp 6/12 volt
2 amp 12 volt
Fully Automatic*
Battery Charger
Maintaner
•Auto On/Off Charge
•Deep-Cycle Battery Setting

Haven't ever used it before. One My Dad had and gave to me and there's no destructions with it.

It has 3 switches and I'm not sure what to set it on for what I need.

First switch (3 Position):
Manual=10 Amp/6 volt
Auto= 2 amp/12 volt
Auto= 10amp/12 volt

Second Switch (2 settings)
Charge
Activate

Third Switch (2 settings):
Deep Cycle
All Others

I'm guessing a Trickle Charge should be set to

2amp/12volt
Charge
All Others

If I need it charged over night
10amp/12V
Charge
All Others

What are the 10amp/6V, Activate and DeepCycle settings. I've heard of Deep Cycle in terms of Batteries, but does my Red Top fall into the catagory?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Battery Charger

6V is for a 6V battery and activate for a new battery (I guess, it could also mean maintenance for a battery that's not used for some period. Not sure.). I think Deep cycle batterys that are completely empty need a different charching scedule than simply 2 or 10 amps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Way Outta Control

The charger should have a circuit the makes sure you hook it up correctly - + to + etc.
If the battery is totally discharged, there's nothing for that circuit to read so the charger won't do anything. "Activate" is to get it started charging. Once it's got enough voltage in it to read, switch it to Auto.
Auto monitors the output voltage and shuts it off when it's charged - there may be a light to indicate that.

Manual means "charge it anyway."

Deep cycle batteries should be charged a little different. Deep Cycle means it will have "cool off" periods. Charges, stops a moment, charges again. That's the best way to charge a deep cycle battery all the way up.
They are not made to give, or recieve high currents (that's why they don't work well as a starter motor battery), they are designed to provide a small current over a long time and can be discharged way down without harm. Normal batteries can't take being discharged low without harm.

10 amps will charge the battery fast(er) - but it's a little rough on a battery if it's very low. Use it when you need it charged up quick.
2 amps is better, keeps the heat down, but takes longer - like overnight.

6 vs. 12 volts --- never did figure that one out.

Optima - as I understand it - they are touchy - they don't like to be discharged low, and they need special attention when charging.
I'll forsake the ability to put a battery on it's side for reliability. That's why I avoid them.

The advertising says otherwise - remember, paper does NOT reject ink.
The salespeople say otherwise - how much is your 20% commission on $45 as opposed to 20% of $120?

Some have a "start" or "boost" switch. That's a high charging rate - 50 - 100 amps to help you jump start. It's not enough to run your starter, but charge the battery a few moments, then use the boost. et your alternator recharge your battery after it starts.

Caution - always leave the charger unplugged when connecting or disconnecting the battery. Harm to the charger - or to you - if it's plugged in when you connect or disconnect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Got it charging now. I swear, the DC Amp Guage on it is dropping. Started right on 2 amps, now it's slightly lower. is that normal?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Addict

get the model #s and such off of the charger and go to the manufacturers(sears in this case) web site and look for the operating instructions, you would be surprised how many producers offer free d/l s of instructions for thier products...i do it all the time at work

all i know of deep cycles is that is what is in our boat, runs the starter every time we start it....i always thought it just meant it had more amp-hours available to use or some such.............[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

From howstuffworks.com........

[ QUOTE ]
People who have recreational vehicles (RVs) and boats are familiar with deep cycle batteries. These batteries are also common in golf carts and large solar power systems ....

Both car batteries and deep cycle batteries are lead-acid batteries that use exactly the same chemistry for their operation. The difference is in the way that the batteries optimize their design:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A car battery typically has two ratings:

* CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - The number of amps that the battery can produce at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) for 30 seconds
* RC (Reserve Capacity) - The number of minutes that the battery can deliver 25 amps while keeping its voltage above 10.5 volts

Typically, a deep cycle battery will have two or three times the RC of a car battery, but will deliver one-half or three-quarters the CCAs. In addition, a deep cycle battery can withstand several hundred total discharge/recharge cycles, while a car battery is not designed to be totally discharged.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode