YJ Wrangler Steering Box HELP!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

YJ Wrangler Steering Box HELP!!!!!!

SO if anyone has followed my last post, I was having issues with the steering and thought it was the large shackles. Putting on the stock shackles helped but I found out that it is the power steering box.

Now The steering setup to the steering box is from an 88 wrangler. I run large 38inch tires and not sure if stock replacement is enough.

I have many options but cant decide what to do.
1. A reman YJ steering box is $230 from napa
2. A used YJ box is $110 on ebay. (condition questionable)
3. A used one from the jeep board $60
4. I have a CJ box that is perfect. But the shaft diameter that connects to the steering shaft is larger then a YJ. Other then that the box seems identical and I think the splines on the sector shaft to the pitman arm are the same.

Could I Modify my steering shaft or get a cj steering shaft? Are the splines on a cj shaft the same for the end of a steering column.
5. A rebuild kit
6. HD modification to compensate for big tires?

Honestly I am stuck but I want to get it fixed this coming weekend. Should I shell out the money for the reman at napa?

Please advise.

Thanks

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 12:23 PM

Re: YJ Wrangler Steering Box HELP!!!!!!

IMO you should be thinking about a bigger steering box. There are larger Saginaw boxes would do a better job of steering 38's. Also IMO, the SWB Jeep box is marginal for stock size tires.

Someone put up a post a few months ago about swapping in a larger box from a Waggoneer or pickup. I don't think that it was very difficult. See if you can find it.

You should also have a good, sturdy brace to the opposite frame rail.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Old Hand

The fastest fix is to replace what you already have. Ideally you could get some kind of warrantee on the box. So, if it fails you can get another box.

Other than that, chevy boxes are strong and could be made to work. Aftermarket support there, so you would have some help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 PM

Some pretty good news that you might appreciate is you can look into FSJ steering boxes from that year as a direct replacement as well. Cherokee and Commanche Steering boxes and the YJ's are an exact replacement to each other...

Then again, you're not running a stock setup, So my next advice won't be cheap.

Get an AGR superbox #2, (The daily driver/offroad model) Variable turning ratio from 17:1-13:1, It'll turn your tires easily, but it ain't cheap at 400 bucks.

Then again, we jeepers are used to putting money in the frame of our toys.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well Well,
A larger steering box would be nice but I don't really do much wheeling anymore and dont have the time for a modification. I found a reman lifetime warranty for $140. I installed it the other day.

The jeep is a little better but is still doing the crazy wheel thing. I am completely lost. I have had this jeep for six years and there have been no problems with the steering.

So it has a brand new reman steering box. driverside tie rod. The other tie rods seem fine. The steering shaft has a little play in the u-joints but not much. The steering column output shaft actually slides in and out. I noticed this when I put the steering shaft back on. I don't know if this is normal and is the only thing that I have left to change.

I am running no track or sway bar and I have no steering stabilizer. BUT I have never in the past so this shouldnt be an issue.

ANY IDEAS or help would be helpful.

thanks

Mike
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 11:51 AM

You need to look for play elsewhere in the steering system. Have a buddy rock the steering wheel back and forth so as to just make the wheels start to steer. Then you can follow the linkage all the way from the steering wheels to the road wheels and look for any place where movement is getting lost.

Any slop in the system can contribute to steering problems. The U-joints in the steering shaft probably should be replaced. If they're in good condition there weill be no detectable slack in them.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Old Hand

check your ball joints for play jack up the wheel so its just off the ground put a pry bar under the axle shaft and pry up that will show any movment do the same on the other side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode