YJ windshield removal problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 09:29 AM
ramekr

YJ windshield removal problems

tried to fold down the windshield to replace the cowl gasket and one hinge snapped( very little effort was used).No problem.. just get new hinges and put them on and back in business..How very wrong i was. Almost every bolt i tried to remove has snapped the welded nut inside the frame AND body.. They now just spin ever so nicely. Can the nuts be reached in the body by removing the dash board( UGH) or is there a simple way to do this.. also I hate having to buy a new windshield frame because except for the nuts spinning there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Is there a way to get these nuts and bolts out. I have a feeling i'm going to have to just suck it up and get a new frame and drill out the bolts on the body. i can't believe this is a unique problem so any help would be of great service. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 01:43 PM

Re: YJ windshield removal problems

You have to drill the bolts out, which is also tough now that the nuts are broken loose. If they spin when you try to drill them try driving something pointy under the bolt head to wedge it into place. If that doesn't work it might take a little tack weld. It will be easy enough to break the head loose after the shank is drilled out.

As for the replacement, that's another sticky problem. When I had to do a similar repair on a frame I welded a piece of welding filler rod to a flange nut. Then I snaked it through a hole in the frame to where it needed to be and started the bolt into it.

That would be a real bear to do all of the windshield hinge nuts that way though. Maybe you could drill and tap a piece of 1/4" steel with the proper hole spacing and put it in there - one for the front and another for the side.

You might have to cut a slot in the under side of the frame to slide the plates in there if they won't go through the defroster hole. I repaired the stripped-out nuts in a tailgate that way. Then welded the hole closed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you could drill and tap a piece of 1/4" steel with the proper hole spacing and put it in there - one for the front and another for the side.

You might have to cut a slot in the under side of the frame to slide the plates in there if they won't go through the defroster hole. I repaired the stripped-out nuts in a tailgate that way. Then welded the hole closed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. I did the exact thing on the lower halves of the W/S hinges. If the W/S hinges have to be removed from the tub making the straps is well worth the time if for no other reason, it elliminates the need to get a wrench in there to hold the nuts. If I had the same problem with the W/S frame, I would do as Jim suggested and cut a hole in the bottom of the W/S frame to slip a strap in, drill a hole in the side of the frame (to plug weld the strap in place) then put the strap in make certain it is in correctly and weld the strap at the bottom and at the hole in the side (the plug weld). Also use anti-seize when going back together.
The problem seems to be the sealer jeep uses. It gets on the threads and works better than lock tite! Heat will make it release, but then you burn the paint. Screwed either way i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

I am going through the same thing on my CJ 5. got a new windshield frame and I need to swap out the hinges and wiper stuff, What I find is that old Torx dont like to be removed, So I will have to weld some stock to the heads of the torx to get them out. JEEPGOD told me to go back in with regular hex head bolt, that way you never have to go through that headache again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 09:02 AM

The real solution is to use anti-sieze on whatever you put in there. I doubt that we'd be cursing Torx if that had been done in manufacturing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Way Outta Control

One way I've used to remove the Torx bolt that's spinning is to:<ul type="square">[*]Spin the head of the bolt against the countersunk metal[*]Heat the head of the bolt[*]Let some mechanical solder resin between the bolt and the frame metal.[*]Wipe some solder across the joint between the head and the countersink.[*]Let the solder set up/cool[*]You've now soldered the bolt to the frame[*]if you're lucky it will not spin.[*]Use a series of drill bits to remove the head from the shank[*]Drill the head ONLY down to the shank of the bolt.[*]The bolt shank is removed from the head[*]Reheat and remove the he torx head[/list]What is left of the bolt and nut have fallen and should be able to be removed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 06:48 AM
ramekr

many thanks for the great ideas. will give it a go this holiday weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode