Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   lower steering shaft coupler inserts--'74 CJ5 (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/218391-lower-steering-shaft-coupler-inserts-74-cj5.html)

jeepnut_nh 04-28-2006 08:08 AM

lower steering shaft coupler inserts--\'74 CJ5

havent gone to NAPA yet, however....

the coupler at the (manual)steering box end of my shaft(kinda looks like a bellcrank with inserts) is pretty loose feeling, 4WD hardware has the inserts....however i was just wondering if any of you all have had this thing apart(i dont want to try disassembly till i know what i'm dealing with)

is it adjustable? any other known sources for them?

i know i could just go to the boneyard, but i fear i'll just get another one thats 25+ years old and beat

thanks for reading...

WILL 04-28-2006 09:22 AM

Re: lower steering shaft coupler inserts--\'74 CJ5

I bought the lower joint kit from 4wd hardware several years ago. It is $42 and includes everything at the lower end of the shaft. Part #8121299K for the manual steering.

CJ7Taz 04-28-2006 11:27 AM

I had to check to make sure that yours was the same as mine.

Yeah, I’ve had ‘em apart, not much too them. It’s basically just a can with grooves formed in opposing sides. The steering shaft has a rod through it at the end. Something that looks like a square nut with the end covered go in each side of the rod, there is a spring to keep them expanded into the grooves. The steering shaft with the “nuts” on it fit into the can then the boot then a clip holds it all together. There is probably nothing wrong with the tulip or can part so you can buy the rebuild kit cheaper.

If you do go the pick-a-part route, make sure you get the right spline count and shaft diameter. M38 sent me a couple shafts but the spline count and shaft diameter for the steering box were different. His were probably for a manual, mine has the power steering box.

jeepnut_nh 04-29-2006 03:53 AM

thanks guys, got home yesterday morning and the new 4WD catalog was in the mailbox... this one gives a very nice exploded view of the part....i guess i'll just get it from them