Installing KC Fogs on YJ-Im an electrical Idiot! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Installing KC Fogs on YJ-Im an electrical Idiot!

I just bought a Pair of KC fog lamps used. They are 100w each and they didn't have a come with the wire harness. Im an idiot when it comes to auto electrical. On top of that I want to install them properly. Can anyone please direct me on what I need to install them on a 1994 Jeep YJ/Wrangler (ie wire harness and do i need a relay?) as well as some simple instructions. My Jeep has a factory switch for fog lamps (my jeep didnt have the lamps when i got it) and ideally I want to use that exisisting switch. But it looks like it might be easier to install a new switch.
If anyone can assist me please email me [email protected] If not just post a follow.
Thank you very much!- Mudskipper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Installing KC Fogs on YJ-Im an electrical Idiot!

You could try to contact K.C.Lights through there web site. WWW.kclights.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 08:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] This is almost TOO easy.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It would actually be a better growth experience if you had something more complex and likely to burn something out.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] FIRST....mount the lights. Then run the light cords(one cord per light...all the way to the "load" pole)) to a headlight relay (available at auto parts) hooking the light cords to "load" terminal...THEN run a nice lead to the battery(at least #10 AWG wire) and hook that to "Batt" on the relay. Hook "GND" on the relay to the mounting bolt or a good metal spot for a good (-).....Then find the unused wire that went to the foglights and hook THAT wire to "SW" on the relay. There will already be a fuse on the relay so that's your new foglight fuse. So, the existing switch feeds current to the relay, causing the relay to close, and the relay connects the new lights DIRECT to the battery. So that's the scheme.....no behind-the-dash fires....no blown instrument panel fuses.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] And one more thing....BRIGHT lights.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That's where you get paid back for buying the relay.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 03:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Im an electrical Idiot! Thanks A LOT!!!

Thanks for the replies that will help me a heck of a lot! now I can have better lighting for when I get lost on those back roads in a blizzard!!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is a relay actually necessary? What are its improvements? Why cant you just run a hot wire and a ground wire and put a switch on it?

1987 YJ Laredo
Rylan D.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 05:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Like Dave said ......or described actually. The heavy current load is between the relay and the lights and the relay and the bat.......but the switch to the relay ......is next to nothing............so you can have an nice short path from the bat to the lights .........and a safe low current wire under the dash.

GeeAea

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

go with cj dave, he is absolutely correct, this is the only way to avoid turning your jeep into a crispy critter, I RUN THE SAME LIGHTS ON MY CJ , AND F
OR THE PRICE THEY ARE ABOUT THE BEST THEIR IS.
TOMMYBEAR
86/CJ

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 08:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am putting on KC lights this week. What size fuse will you put with the lights. I got my lights used, and i do not know the size fuse that came with the lights.
THanks Dan Stewart
1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 09:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] the fuse that the off-the-shelf relay takes is a 20 AMP,which should be fine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Do you think you could drop over to the other Jeeper's house and help him too?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

These gentlemen are all correct. The engineers at Chrysler agree with them so much that on the '94 YJ the factory fog lights are on a relay system as described. So - you don't need to add a relay in this case; just wire your new lights to the factory points at the bumper (16 Ga. Black is ground and 16 Ga. Light Blue is hot from the relay. Again, not much of a learning experience but it couldn't be easier.
I don't know about other years, but the above is true of '94YJs.
As for the CJDave advice about using the relay system for lighting, I did exactly that for some absolutely killer backup lights that I use.
sln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode