CJ-5 ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 04:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ-5 ???

I was hoping someone could give me some input? I am considering buying a 72 CJ-5. Could someone let me know some things to look for on it. Any big problem areas with this year? Also I have 2 kids(ages 4 and 2) and a wife. Anyone ever hauled this many people around with one of these. My wife is going to need some convincing. So any real life experience would be great. Well hopefully someone can help me out. TIA Jay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ-5 ???

It's going to be cramped, not much room in the CJ-5s. With the family in the Jeep you won't have room for a cooler, etc. The advantage of a CJ-5 is the maneuverability on and off road. They are great for towing behind a motor home where gear carrying ability is secondary. You must drive carefully as with any short wheelbase vehicle, especially if it's lifted. I had a '61 CJ-5 before i got my CJ-8. It was great off road, but it was too small for the family.
If you are still interested, the '72 was the first year of AMC owmership of Jeep corp. There are a few different parts from the earlier models and the later ones, (they were still sorting things out). Check for rust and cracks in the body, as with any Jeep, especially around the body to frame mounts. Also carefully inspect the frame also, as they are prone to crack on the earlier models. Sometimes a "good deal" can be too good and it pays to check it out carefully.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

CHECK OUT THE FRAME!! If you don't have a good frame, your jeep won't last.
Also, CJ5's made before 1976 didn't have a boxed frame, so you gotta watch putting a big engine or torquey mods onto it. How good the frame is is very important. Believe me, I have a nice 78 CJ7 that is in good shape except the frame is crap, now I have to get a new frame (it is beyond repair) & this is going to be a major major major undertaking. If you have the time, you may want to purchase - "the jeep bible" (for the jeep cult), available from places like 4WD hardware & Quadratec. This book concentrates on CJ's there is also "the Jeep Owners Bible" by moses someone, it is good too, but covers all jeeps, I like "the jeep bible" better, I wish I had it in front of me cause it has some good tips.
Good Luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 02:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Listen carefully. If you plan on driving your kids around in a cj5 on an everyday basis, seek some sort of intervention. Not to be rude, but I don't want you to endanger the lives of your family members. All shortbase jeeps are extremely difficult to drive in bad weather. My girlfriend's is equipped with power steering, and still she has twice been blown onto the wrong side of the highway by semis. And the jeep you are considering probably doesn't have power brakes or steering. What is more valuable? Your family is, I'd asume. If you buy it, use it for your own enjoyment, and not as a minivan. Trust me.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 06:43 AM
Addict

I'd look around for a CJ7. There is abosolutely no room in a 5 and they ride very hard, (although with 4 people in it it would ride a little better). Also, take a look at the back seat in it. How big are you kids? They are only going to get bigger.

Parts are getting scarce for pre-1976 CJ5's too.

What do you plan to do with it?

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode