I've got an idea! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I\'ve got an idea!

Between just reading the post regarding whether of not someone needed fender flares...and working today, I came up with an idea.

I know some people dont like to run flares because they get ripped off, etc. On our light aircraft, we use 1/4 turn CAMLOK or DZUS fasteners. These make it possible to remove an entire cowling with over 20 screws in a minute or less. Since they hold cowlings and other large skin compontents on at high speeds...I'd be willing to bet they could also hold on a flare for some abuse!

This way you could be legal to and from the trail, and have your flares off for the ride in 2 or 3 minutes.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: I\'ve got an idea!

It would work... I've used these to fasten my Hard Top to the tub prior to making my own fixture. They work slick... so IMHO the Dzus concept works great.

I've seen the 1/4 turn Camlocks at Boeing but never used 'em on a project. They're slick'n snot.

The only question I have is expense...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

LArry,

That was a concern of mine as well. I honestly have no idea what they cost, as I dont fix the airplane...I just fly it and break it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you take into account the cost of replacement flares, it could actually be a cost effective solution....

In other words....GREAT IDEA....

Shouldn't be too hard....the only problem will be at the ends where the screw is close to the metal...you need a certain amount of room to mount the camlock base..and if you have trimmed your fenders...you may not have enough meat....one solution would be to make a back plate the shape of the flare that holds the camlock base...your fender would then be sandwhiched in between....in fact, you could make a kit that would end up being bolt in....something that even Andy could do.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode