Fender Flares - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Fender Flares

Anyone know if I can run my jeep on the streets of CA without my fender flares?

V.C. 27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Not sure how to read that but my guess is that I have to have flares. Or am I wrong? If I have to have flares anyone know of something other then the flares that meets the requirements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:35 AM

Re: Fender Flares

I would read that to mean that you need flares. Or lawn edging. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons,

[/ QUOTE ]

Fenders, Covers, Flaps... are not Flares. Splash Aprons Could be.. not sure what those really are.

[ QUOTE ]
afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud [/b]to the rear of the vehicle[/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flares don't do anything to the Rear of the Vehicle... Mud Flaps do.

I've seen this question asked all over on Different Jeep boards, and the Concensus seems to be it's really up to if any given Officer on any given day is in a bad mood or just Anal...... Or I guess just how much crap your Jeep is throwing up behind it. I know My CJ would catch a ration of Crap in California for this..... probably from the most relaxed of Officers too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Official Historian

I'd think you could go without them. I bet the first time you drive on wet streets you will put them back on too.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 08:29 AM
Veteran

Top down+wet streets+no flares=big mess.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess I'm the best qualified to answer that question....considering that I have writen a 'few' of those tickets.

Basically, if flat surface of the tire extends past the fender, you need mud flaps....and the mud flap must cover the flat spot of the tire.

Do we enforce it?....if you are a gang banger in a G-ride and we need an excuse to stop you (something to do with the 4 admendment), then there is a good chance you might get a ticket....

If you are Joe Blow citizen driving down the road....and you start kicking up rocks onto my windshield....yea I'm going to enforce it.....otherwise, it's not a big deal...worse case, if you do get a ticket....it's correctable...in other words, pay a $15 service fee and you get it singed off after you correct it.

But I would like to point out that without them, you are going to be kicking up a lot of junk onto your body....if you like your paint job....keep them on.....

If you don't want to run the stock flares, mud flaps will work....but it will still trash the upper part of your paint.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:21 PM

flares and fenders are over rated...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]

But I would like to point out that without them, you are going to be kicking up a lot of junk onto your body....if you like your paint job....keep them on.....

If you don't want to run the stock flares, mud flaps will work....but it will still trash the upper part of your paint.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just put on 33's. We live a 1/4 mile off the highway and travel down that gravel road doesn't leave 2nd gear, NOW. (Slower collects less rocks) Pulled off our road onto the highway and had rocks flying left and right. Right up onto my windshield. I couldn't believe I cracked my own windshield and no good story to tell about it. Rocks also fly by the side windows and onto the hood. Since it's a Renegade and companies don't make flares for her I'm going to have to modify or customize something for her.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Old Hand

Why won't the extended flares fit?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Official Historian

[ QUOTE ]
Why won't the extended flares fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it is a YJ renegade.

Here is a random google search picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode