Borg-Warner xfer in a cj8? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Borg-Warner xfer in a cj8?

What type of B-W transfer case came with the cj8's? The Jeep website says that they were only made with Dana 300's, this is false since i've just looked at a cj 8 today, with a straight six, and a manual transmission, and xfer case.
Please let me know what you think, thanks

breaker one, breaker one, I may be crazy but I ain't dumb, Crazy Cooter comminatcha!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 11:54 PM
Official Historian

Re: Borg-Warner xfer in a cj8?

cj8's were made from 82-86. during those years all cj's used the dana 300. the only borg-warner transfer case jeep ever used was the quadra trac in the 70's.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 04:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know that this cj8 has a borg-warner xfer case because its stamped right on the case, I know this is a manual xfer case since I can see the shifter linkage from it.?! Help me out on this what other kind of manual transfer cases does borg-warner make?

breaker one, breaker one, I may be crazy but I ain't dumb, Crazy Cooter comminatcha!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 06:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Ok, Coot.... time for twenty questions. (1) does the transfer case have a little lever behind the drivers right foot? (2) Does the rear axle have a differential which is well offset to the right hand side? (3) Is the rear output shaft from the transfer case in line with the front output shaft...like they were one shaft punching right through the transfer case? (4)Is there a vacuum pot on the transfer case? (5) Is there a vacuum switch on the dash or in the glove box? (6)Is this Jeep an automatic or a stick shift? Well......that's only seven questions, but if you answer then correctly, you get a free trip to Jeepdom.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 02:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

"I know that this cj8 has a borg-warner xfer case because its stamped right on the case"

It had BORG-warner stamped on the case? I thought Borg-Warner made gauges and Warner made
gear boxes and that they were unrelated companies. Am I mistaken?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 03:22 PM

My 1980 CJ-7 has a FORD logo on the top access lid of the SR-4 trans,but it does not make it a FORD .Anyhow who says it is original factory issue, It may have been swapped in at any time.Is it hooked up and working or just there ? Most Jeeps have been modified somewhere along the line.
I have been trying to find early service records on mine or where it originated from but as yet have had no luck,So I guess you CAN'T find everything on line .I even talked to s service rep at the dealer and he said records do not go back that far. ????

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 08:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Borg Warner has been involved as a major supplier to the auto industry since the VERY early days of motordom. The big trophy at the INDY 500 is the Borg Warner trophy. Borg Warner made overdrive units for YEARS that went behind lots of car transmissions FROM THE FACTORY. The Borg Warner transfer case is the 1339, originally known as the Quadra-Trac. Later Jeep t-cases were also referred to as QTs, but were actually not the 1339, but NP 207s. Our CJ7 has the 1339 BW case, although it is customized for snow driving.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 11:00 PM
Official Curmudgeon

More than thirty years ago when I put a Warner T-10 in a '62 Ford Galaxy convertible, I was told that it
was improper to refer to it as a Borg-Warner. I never had reason to question this and indeed, I found that
professionals in the automotive field and references made by automotive repair manuals referred to the
transmissions as "Warner" and not as "Borg-Warner".

Well, back in the '60s we did not have the internet to answer these questions. In a search for
"Borg-Warner" on the 'net, I found two very different manufacturers.

The first I found was BWD - Borg-Warner Automotive Inc. which is wholly or partly owned by Echlin Inc.
along with Brake Parts Inc. (manufacturer of Raybestos Brakes), Mr. Gasket, and Beck/Arnley
Worldparts.

When I went to the "Contact us" page at http://www.Borg-Warner.com/contactus.html I found the
following.

BWD Automotive markets out Borg-Warner brand products which include:
ignition components, carb kits and components, emission control, fuel
injection, wire and cable, new and reman clutches, water pumps and motor
mounts.
<font color=red>
BWD AUTOMOTIVE DOES NOT MARKET OR
DISTRIBUTE
ANY TRANSMISSION OR
TRANSMISSION-RELATED COMPONENTS UNDER
THE BORG-WARNER BRAND NAME. ALL EMAILS
CONCERNING TRANSMISSIONS AND
TRANSMISSION RELATED QUESTIONS WILL BE
DELETED...EXCEPT FOR CLUTCH RELATED
QUESTIONS.

</font color=red>

Then I found BWA - Borg-Warner Automotive who says they do powertrain, transmissions and
turbochargers. BWA stock is listed on the NYSE.

No wonder the confusion but I think I've got it straight now. I still don't know how two companies
registered with the same name and I'd be interested in the legal battles that must have gone on. From
their statement, it looks like BWD is a little miffed about the confusion.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 12:23 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Oh yeah, I do know its Stewart Warner that makes the gauges.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img].

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the input guys, I still don't know what exactly is under that jeep, I am certain that it say "Borg-Warner ##-##-####" on the xfer case, but Its not a quadratrac, (since I allready own one of those), I probably won't care to much more about it, unless the kid who's selling it realizes he's not gonna get what he's asking for it. and is willing to make a deal. Then maybe i'll have to look a little bit more seriously.

coot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode