Is it bad to drive my YJ in front wheel drive? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is it bad to drive my YJ in front wheel drive?

I'm installing a new rear axle this weekend along with a SYE kit. I won't be able to take measurements for new rear driveline until everything is installed. Once I get that done, I'm guessing it will take 4-5 days for a driveline from Tom Woods to get delivered to Seattle. In the meantime, my Jeep is my only vehicle so will it get hurt if I drive with the front wheels for a few days? Most of my driving is freeway.

<font color="blue"> -Dorian
www.4Low.com
</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 05:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Is it bad to drive my YJ in front wheel drive?

The only time I've done this is to get my 4WD Ford F250 home after I had a ujoint let go in the back shaft. I took the rear shaft out and drove home on the front end, about 10 miles. It's not fun, and the way it feels, it can't be that great on the front end. I would imagine that especially at highway speeds you would not want to be doing this. If it were side streets, and low speeds, and not that far I would do it, if I had to.

Just my opinion
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 05:54 PM
Official Historian

your reverse cut front gears are almost as strong as your rear dana 35. i've driven many miles including over 100 miles last weekend with the front end only on my cj. a few days shouldn't hurt anything.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 06:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There is no....repeat, NO harmful effects from driving in front drive only. If you did that LONG TERM, the smaller gears in the front differential would begin to get noisy, but other than that, there is no real problem...EXCEPT...that with front drive only you get some "torque steer" when you get down hard on the throttle...it will want to pull to the right or left depending on the drop of the t-case. Just be ready for that little phenomenon and you'll be fine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 07:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You know Dave.......I kinda thought that it would be kinda handy if these things ran in front wheel mode all the time and you just kicked in the rear when you need 4WD........but........well I guess the rear drive shaft is kinda short already to put some intermediate component to engage and disengage the rear.........just a thought.
GeeAea

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used to have a lada niva (don't laugh it was free) and it runs in front wheel drive normall untill you lock the 4wd in.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 08:00 PM
MNT
Addict

I did the same thing after I switched out my axles. I had to wait for a rear driveshaft and logged around 1000 miles or so on front wheel drive. Another thing to pay close attention to is the turning. You don't want to make hard sharp turns as it could be potentially bad. I had absoloutely no problems at all.

Good Luck

MNT
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make sure you have an open front diff. Otherwise it is a very interesting experience.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 01:58 AM
Wrangler88

whats the fastest he can drive in front wheel drive tho? doesn't it say u can oly go to 55 mph in 4 wheel drive or is that just BS, or can he go faster than that because hes only using 2 wheels and not 4?
MIkey

(\/)ikey
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 03:04 AM
Addict

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]don't laugh, but i once owned a subaru brat,<font color=red>FWD until 4WD engaged</font color=red>, that handled good enough to outdo a 300ZX on a local exit ramp.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

seriously, though, i would not be too inclined to drive any four by, designed to run in RWD normally, any significant distance in FWD.
<font color=purple>unless it's necessary to limp'er home, of course</font color=purple>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode