OT: Computer operating sys for kids' game-playing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT: Computer operating sys for kids\' game-playing

Bought a 'cheap' (surplus) dell computer from a local college so my boys could paly 'puter games. (I think it's a Pentium II, maybe III.) No operating system installed. Single CD-ROM/DVD drive. Came w/ a Knoppix disc. Will NOT be used on-line.

Tried to set it up, the Knoppix disc works when in the disc drive, but I cannot figure out how to 'load' it so I can then use the disc drive to run the game disc(s). Games do not work w/o disc in drive.

I do not want to shell out the $$$ for an operating system (Windows?) for this thing.

Obviously, I am pretty computer stupid... would one of you 'puter saavy gents give me an assist? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (Pls keep advice on a 'moron'-level, or I'll be lost. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: OT: Computer operating sys for kids\' game-play

If you've bought a Knoppix (Unix Flavor)... may heaven help you. Unix, of any flavor-version is not for the unwashed. You GOTTA know what you're doing. I wouldn't waste the time with the Knoppix.

See my PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Knoppix is cool for the very geeky. Otherwise useless to you.
You want windows XP home edition for games. However it costs $$ I can get it < $100 and you DO NOT want to copy XP from someone, it needs to be registered online which means MicroSS will know if you are bad or good. XP is the best for games.
However, on the cheap you can either "Borrow" someones copy of Windows 2000 (No registration) or buy one cheaply, or if someone on the board has a old hunk 'o junk lying around with a Windows 2000 sticker on it they can send it to you and you will be "Legal", anyone can copy you a CD. Since this is my business I can't directly help you other than sell you ligit software

FYI: Legality of ownership in MicroSS OS is the sticker. You can have 10,000 copies of the CD floating around, but the guy that has the OS installed with the registration number on the sticker attached to his machine is "Legal".

You will HAVE to have MicroSS OS installed on the PC to play games, however for just email and surfing, you can use a free copy of Unix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Knoppix is cool for the very geeky. Otherwise useless to you.
You want windows XP home edition for games. However it costs $$ I can get it < $100 and you DO NOT want to copy XP from someone, it needs to be registered online which means MicroSS will know if you are bad or good. XP is the best for games.

FYI: Legality of ownership in MicroSS OS is the sticker. You can have 10,000 copies of the CD floating around, but the guy that has the OS installed with the registration number on the sticker attached to his machine is "Legal".

[/ QUOTE ]

If the 'puter is NEVER going to be on-line, how would MS know what (XP, for instance) was on it? This machine is strictly for games - NO online use at all.

I bought a refurb'd Dell Dimension (w/ WindowsXP home) about 4yrs ago, it came w/ a bunch of discs. Is there likely a back-up disc for XP in that bunch? And, if so, what would happen if I accidentally inserted it into this 'game machine'? Would I have to (accidentally) do anything else for it to load? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] (Like I said, I pretty fumble-fingered.)

Ticks me off the money-grubbers expect a small fortune from families for EACH & EVERY computer using XP in the house. So much for family-friendly. Me thinks Mister Gates just found his way onto the top of my $h!tlist. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

By the way, thanks for the "lala" smiley... Good thing to have handy. (Had a CO that liked to do that when I got a little to 'detailed' in my legal briefings... musn't 'know' too much about what's going on, eh! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )

Oh well, worst comes to worst, I can always find a bootleg Win2000 someplace, right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

So, this is how it works:

Windows XP (Pro and Home) will expire after 30days of installing it if you do not either go online or call on the telephone for the registration info. Expire=Can't log on or use, period!

You can try your other machine's disks especially if it has one that says "operating systenm" otherwise XP will go bonkers trying to run on hardware it wasn't expecting. But you can try, won't brake anything, and you may not even have to register. **this is all in therory that you cease and desist using the original machine so you have this copy of XP loaded on one PC only**

Remember, you didn't hear it from me
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 05:58 PM

This one time.. I accidentally loaded a version of WinXP on 4 different computers in my house.. and accidentally ended up using the same registration number...

Good thing it worked. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:14 PM

What about 98 since his system isn't going to be "up to par being a II or III" for the newest games? I'm in the same boat with my daughter on here system. 98 works fine for no more speed than the system has for older games.

(um..........um.......I might be able to help ya with that Jerry)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:15 PM

Forgot to ask.........how fast IS the system?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Forgot to ask.........how fast IS the system?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Pentium II; 266MHz. Level I cache: 512KB; System memory: 256MB SDRAM.

What other info d'ya need?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ohh, 266 even windows 2000 is pushing it, XP is out of the question. What age range are the kids? I am asking becouse if they are teenagers and going to buy the latest off-the-shelf games, they will be dissapointed, if they are little ones it should be OK. If you want to persue it, shoot me a PM with your address and I will send out a "Legal" copy of 98 if you wish, I just use 'em for coasters around here. Shipping and interest is a sixer of good beer when I ever get up that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode