YJ Doors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Addict

YJ Doors

Does anyone know if the doors from a TJ can be made to fit a YJ? Has anyone tried it? My passenger side door frame around the window is rotted (I know that your all shocked by this) And I'm looking at my options. One is to get Steel half doors but I like my roll down windows in the winter. Dont so much like the slider half top's. Is there a place where I can buy brand new YJ doors? Anyone who has any info it would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: YJ Doors

Anything can be done if you've got enough money... but in this case it'd take a heck of a lot of fabrication and glass cutting. I wouldn't even attempt it.

Hard doors ain't cheap. You might want to look at these Full fiberglass shells:

Or full metal shells at Collins Brothers, with or with out vent windows.

Of course there's always Ebay, but one set I just looked at, the seller wanted $198 for shipping... that's a crock IMHO. But you can still get reasonable buys out there.

Then there's the Forum For Sale sites... just keep browsing.

I wish I had an answer for the rotted frame... but short of finding that part, or, cutting and welding in new sections... it destroys the usefulness of the hard door.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks Larry I saved them into my favorites and will keep looking around. I realize that wishing for a rust free Jeep is like wishing for world peace or to end world hunger but I'm gonna try anyway hehe. Anything I can do to save my small piece of American Steel I will do. I was trying to come up with a "Jeepin Article" for you too but the only thing I can think of to write about is the stereo thing since thats my livelyhood. Dont know if there would be any interest there [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
again thanks for the info
Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:36 PM

TJ half doors fit if you remove the factory weatherstrip and change the striker on your YJ to the TJ hoop. Just put mine on last night.... don't know about the soft uppers yet.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Way Outta Control

Steve, could you please post pictures of attaching that catch on the tub? I find this interesting.

Also are you going to adapt YJ uppers to the half door?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Well, there is this.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/swb/articles/kayline.htm

If you're going the other way -- i.e., TJ ---- onto --> YJ. Then maybe you could do it.

I had heard years ago that the actual shape of the door opening was the same, just that the windshield frame on a TJ is different. ????? Know anybody with a TJ? Try to slap a door on there, see what happens!

Pete
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 02:57 PM

Still need to work on replacing the strike latch, I have the YJ post type now and will replace it completely with the TJ style... once I get the uppers on I'll take a pic. This is the latch I'm replacing...

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...7-P1260004.JPG

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...8-P1260005.JPG
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Addict

If you remove the weather stripping dont they chatter and squeak alot? I was looking to maybe modify tj full steel doors to fit on my yj but you have given me another alternative to think about. It gets awfully cold here in the winter lol. Thats why I like full steel in the winter with the hard top and no doors in the summer with the soft top. How are those sliders for the half doors from best top? Let me know how the half doors work out and if you have any pictures that would be great.
thanks for all the new info.
Larry had an interesting post with the door shell's too been looking at that also.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:36 AM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
I had heard years ago that the actual shape of the door opening was the same, just that the windshield frame on a TJ is different. ????? Know anybody with a TJ? Try to slap a door on there, see what happens!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lower TJ half/hard doors should fit the YJ/CJ opening. The uppers, however are a different story. The windshield is raked back at a differing angle. That precludes using the TJ uppers on a CJ/YJ.

However, and this is a big however, some jeepers have modified YJ half doors to take the less expensive JCW YJ uppers (that normally only fit JCW lower half doors).

So, with a little fabrication I think this would be an answer to mixing/matching TJ lowers with YJ style uppers. This would let you have a set of "hard doors" and help keep in a little more heat.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 10:31 AM

I was planning to add the sticky backed striping along the flat edge of the door which contacts the beveled edge in the door opening... the factory seal is massive/thick and seals really well on a TJ but wouldn't allow the door to close on my YJ. Like anything, trial and error is the rule creating a FrankenJeep... if I need to, I'll replace the mounting rods on a YJ upper to fit in the TJ lower holes if I can't make the rest work together... at least it sounds simple! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode