O/T Home Production of BioDiesel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Addict

O/T Home Production of BioDiesel

Has anyone here looked into this or know of anyone doing it. The more I read on the topic the more I think that I am going to give it a try. There are kits out there that you can buy to get you up and running for $3000.00, but them guys in their chat rooms are as bad as the guys here. They scouf at even the idea of not building the system yourself. I have ordered a few books today and a homeaid video about making your own system. The more I read the more I think I am going to give it a try. Someone bring me back to reality if I am missing something, but I do not think I am yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T Home Production of BioDiesel

I have a friend here that mixes corn oil 50/50 with diesel fuel. He runs it in a brand new ford 6.0
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone here looked into this or know of anyone doing it. The more I read on the topic the more I think that I am going to give it a try. There are kits out there that you can buy to get you up and running for $3000.00, but them guys in their chat rooms are as bad as the guys here. They scouf at even the idea of not building the system yourself. I have ordered a few books today and a homeaid video about making your own system. The more I read the more I think I am going to give it a try. Someone bring me back to reality if I am missing something, but I do not think I am yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are crazy if you pay for a new system. I want to build one, but with my job right now I'm rarely home. Get 2 55 gallon drums and an old beer keg. Fab up some brackets and mount an old drill motor. Then some tube and valves from home depot...

BUT
My wife would kill me over the stink, and getting the oil home sure sounds like a PITA

Good luck, post pic's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I will post pic's once I start and no there is no way I would pay that kind of money to buy a kit. From what I read about mixing cooking oil and Diesel there are problems waiting to happen, but if you go through the process and make Biodiesel out of it you can mix in regular diesel anytime without any issues. The trick I guess will be to start this when it warms up and once I get use to making it deal with mixing in the antigels next fall.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Haven't seen LoModYJ around here lately, but he's got it set up on his CTD.. Or is in the proccess of doing it now.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Haven't seen LoModYJ around here lately, but he's got it set up on his CTD.. Or is in the proccess of doing it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm setting up to run my auxillary tank on Waste Vegatable Oil (WVO) which is diffetent from BioDiesel.

A bit of schooling here; A diesel motor will run on just about anything. I take all the used dino oil from the Rav4 and the Jeep (CTD uses synthetic and it don't burn as well) and put in a quart or two with each tank of fuel. With 2 qt to 30 Gallons of fuel it makes no difference in emmisions and does nothing to the fuel consumption...plus it's directly recycling the oil. A diesel will run on any kind of vegatable oil (it was originally designed to run on peanut oil, but in 1900 or so Dino Diesel was cheaper). The big deal with using oil is you need to lower the viscosity. There are currently 2 ways of doing this, one is to "cook" it using Methanol (and a few other things) to make BioDiesel. I don't cook my own but have a bud that is cooking and I buy from him. The other way of lowering the viscosity is to heat the oil. The system I'm putting in my CTD will use the auxillary tank to hold the grease, it will have a 4 "conducter" fuel hose hooked to it, Grease to lift pump, Grease return line, Coolant from motor, Coolant back to motor. Using the coolant as the heat source in those lines should be enough to get the grease up to about 140* and allow the motor to run on it. I will have to start up and shut down on Diesel, as I need the motor to get to operating temp before I can switch over to the Grease. And I shouldn't shut down on the grease as it will cool in the pump and lines to the injectors and become thick again. Plus there is reports of the grease Coking on the injectors, clogging them.

I am getting waste vegatable oil from a couple of resturants in town (Chinese and Japanese are the best), then I will be filtering using household water filters and getting down to 5 microns. I'll have 2 55 gal drums, one stacked above the other,. I will use a solar panel to charge a "stock tank" heater to warm the grease coming from the upper tank and allow it to flow more freely through the filters into the lower tank, then heat again when I need to pump into the truck tank.

With BioDiesel you can use it just like DinoDiesel, no conversion neccessary, I will continue to use it as my start up and shut down fuel. One of the big problems with BioDiesel is it has a lot of (***can't think of what it is right now***) in it, and it eats rubber. Some of the Ford PSD's have lots of rubber o rings. I would suggest getting on some of the BioDiesel web sites (I'll list some later) and checking on your your truck.

I did have to change my fuel filter after each of my first 2 fill ups on BioDiesel. It does a super duper job of cleaning out your fuel system. So have several on hand when you make the switch.

There are lot's of local retailers selling Bio in mix or straight form. B100 is all bio, B50 is 50% bio/50% dino, B20 is 20% bio/80% dino.

I'll get some links up later with more info.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:58 PM
Veteran

I have a buddy that could run a Jeep on all of the methane gas he produces. Especially after he eats chili.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
I have a buddy that could run a Jeep on all of the methane gas he produces. Especially after he eats chili.

[/ QUOTE ]

AHEM! I resemble that statement! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] And, I do not think we've ever met! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:06 PM

I was reading about it a few months ago. I don't own anything with a diesel, but kept the info anyway. I was thinking, maybe mishfull thinking, on getting a VW diesel motor for my buggy and use bio-diesel. Or on the riskier side of opening up a commercial bio-diesel station. Just not sure about all the ins and outs of doing it.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Addict

WOW LoModYJ

You have been doing your reasure. Thanks a ton! I new that people where saying that i might have to replace fuel filters a couple of times at first but no one could give a reason why. I ordered a video and a few books on making Biodeisel and even made a few poeple up set in one of the bio yohoo groups due to the fact I asked about a web page I found. They where trying to say that I was a SHILL! Well I let them know what I thought of there remarks as I would here. Man I hope them tree huggers can take that or I might have lost a good source of info. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode