Heater hose routing on cj7 with chevy 350 swap out - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 PM
2005cj7

Heater hose routing on cj7 with chevy 350 swap out

I recently swapped a chevy zz4 crate engine into my 1985 cj7. The water pump i am using has 2 pipes for the heater hoses. right now i have them connected to the 2 pipes on the heater core which is incorrect because i get no heat. Does anyone have any sugestions or knowledge of small block HO manifold water flow. I have also heard about blocking one of the water pump pipes off and putting the second hose to the maifold like the old cadilacs. Help its cold out!!

Here is a picture of the manifold used on the zz4 crate engine. I am using an iron waterpump from a 99 chevy tahoe which has 2 smaller tubes as well as the upper and lower radiator inlet / outlet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1474754-intakemanifold.jpg (6.5 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Heater hose routing on cj7 with chevy 350 swap out

As the blowhards in Washington are often heard to say: "SENATOR, I'M GLAD YOU ASKED ME THAT!" Does that crate moror have a fitting on the front end of the intake manifold right next to the thermostat housing? If it does, THAT is where one of the heater hoses will go. The circuit is from that fitting to the heater and then back to the top hole on the water pump. Now if you want to customize this setup and make it WORK, both summer and winter, you need to do the CJDave mod as used on nine....count them, NINE....of his Chev-Lay and GMC peekups: The heater return hose has a "TEE" in it, and the side leg of the tee goes to the heater hose fitting that usually sticks out of the top tank of the radiator on the RH side on the Chev-Lay pickups, the main run of the tee just continues on to the water pump fitting as it normally would. Then, you put a restrictor in the side leg of that tee, A 12 Ga. shotgun slug pusher washer is the perfect size, so go get a deer slug and peel it. This setup does two things: (1) it helps the engine "burp" the air out and as a result, the cooling system fills better cold and the radiator runs completely full all the time, which is why you BOUGHT the radiator. and (2) the restrictor keeps the system from pushing all of the hot water into the radiator on cold days like the early Shiv-Lays did. THEN, drill a hole the size of a pencil lead in that thermostat. Drill it in the flat area. If you do not have a fitting in the tank of that radiator, PUT ONE IN.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Grrrrrr......I made this gramatically perfect and superbly informative post as a reply to your inquiry and when I went to transfer it, the system dropped it somehow.....DRAT!!!!!
Anyway, here is what you need to do: Connect one heater hose to the fitting on that intake manifold that is near the thermostat. The OTHER hose goes to the water pump fitting. THEN, if you really want this system to work you do the CJDave mod, as used on NINE of his Shev-Lay and GMC pickups. You put a TEE in the heater hose that goes to the water pump and the side outlet of that tee will go to the top tank of the radiator. If your radiator has a heater hose fitting there, then GOOD, if not, PUT ONE IN. Then put a restrictor washer in the side outlet of that tee. A 12 Ga. shotgun slug pusher washer is just perfect so get a slug round and peel it. So to summarize, you have the loop from the top of the engine intake manifoild outlet, to the heater; then from the heater to the tee where the side outlet is restricted and goes to the tank and the main run of the tee continues on to the water pump. THEN drill a hole the size of a the lead in your pencil in the flat part of that thermostat. This cooling system will work so good; both summer and winter; that you will almost be embarassed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well, wadda yew know......the post posted after all.....?????????????????????? Who woulda thunk it???????
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 02:06 PM

Re: Heater hose routing on cj7 with chevy 350 swap

Three posts to answer one question? PAD PAD PAD PAD PAD PAD! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 350 is a little different.
I don't have a connection near the t-stat...the heater hose connection from the intake is at the rear of the manifold near the dist.

For the other end of the heater, I removed the plug from the top of the water pump and connected the hose there. (the original config on the chev-oro-ay went to the radiator.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That outlet on the rear of the intake will do nicely. That is the "pressure" side of the heater circuit so water flows TO the heater in that hose. The plug on the top of the water pump is the suction side so water is coming FROM the heater in that hose.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:53 PM
2005cj7

Thanks for the reply. My water pump has 2 pipes in addition to the upper and lower radiator hoses. The manifold on the chevy 350 HO has fittings on the right front, left front, and one right next to the thermostat housing. How would you route this setup?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode