Office worker trys to play mecanic and messes up. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:47 PM
smurff

Office worker trys to play mecanic and messes up.

Hi everyone,

It all started with me getting my garage empty to get my 89YJ into it to fix my idle problem. That took 2 days (got alot of junk in there)

I get the car in, took out the air cleaner, the choke plate the choke rod, and then the gizmo with the idle tubes stuck in it. The idle tubes where full of crap, cleaned those, used plenty of carb cleaner everywhere.

Then when I put it back together, the problem was that the engine was not staying alive in cold weather, now, since I played with the screws, it wont even start!

Need some help. Can someone explain to me what does those 3 screws do, witch does what, and what is the trick to be able to adjust them properly?

I think it may also be the choke plate, I'm not sure if there is any adjustment to be done when installing the choke plate...

Confused Newbie Smurff
89 YJ
145 000k or 90 000 miles
Standard
258, L6
Evil BBD carb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Office worker trys to play mecanic and messes up.

Get a rebuilt carb, the instructions will tell you how to set it up.

You should not have removed the choke plate. The screws were bradded over on the back side. When you removed them you probably ruined the threads in the rod which werenít much to begin with. When those screws come loose they will drop into the manifold and be drawn into a cylinder. That will ruin the engine.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 10:37 PM
smurff

Ok, there goes my options...

What rebuild? 2100? Weber? another BBD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 AM

I wouldn't go out and spend $400.00 because of a couple of screws. I'd get a couple of new screws and stake them once you get them back in. Just use a center punch and deform the ends after you get them in place. Restaking the old screw isn't a good idea. The screws are usually brass so they don't damage the threads in the rod anyway.

These are instructions for a BBD on a CJ but it probably is the same for an early YJ.
Idled Adjustment BBD

IF your looking for an excuse for another carb, I would go with the MC2100.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 06:50 AM
smurff

Thx for the great link!

Just gotta figure out what all those parts are.

I'll find a diagram or something...

Those 2 screws behind the BBD do the same thing for each barrel? Or do they have different functions?

The third screw is for the fast idle, right?

As for the choke plate, do I have to make sure that it is adjusted to be closed when engine is off?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Office worker trys to play mecanic and messes

<u>THIS</u> may help...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thx for the great link!

Just gotta figure out what all those parts are.

I'll find a diagram or something...

Those 2 screws behind the BBD do the same thing for each barrel? Or do they have different functions?

The third screw is for the fast idle, right?

As for the choke plate, do I have to make sure that it is adjusted to be closed when engine is off?

[/ QUOTE ]

(NON feedback Carter BBD)

Are you talking the Idle Mixture Screws like #42 or the idle speed screws #37

THe two Idle Mixture screws each do the same thing to each barrel were as the Idle speed screws have different effect on the idle speed.

I'll see if I can find a better picture.

[EDIT] DUh, adding the picture will help [/EDIT]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Does this link work for a 89 YJ Carb?

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?Use...C%7ENONE%7C%7EB
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:07 PM
smurff

John thx for taking the time [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Witch picure are you talking about? Is it attached to the forum somewhere? I cant see it...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Official Curmudgeon

OK, the long version.

There are pictures in the link leve gave. Click on one and it will enlarge (the lower one is the later model but still may not quite match yours). I doubt that it will do you a lot of good though.

Those 3 screws are for idle. Two of them set the idle mixture, the other sets the idle speed. On everything that Iíve seen the starting point for the idle mixture screws is tighten to snug and then back out 2-1/2 to 3 turns. But, you can tighten all 3 screw as tight as you can get them, take them out and throw them on the floor or leave them any place in between those extremes and the engine will still start and run.

You have another problem. My best guess is that it came from the removal and replacement of the idle fuel pickup tubes. Even if you didnít break the gasket, you donít have a good seal. The venturi create a low pressure area which pulls fuel from the float bowl by siphoning action. Without a good seal, it canít siphon the fuel. The lack of seal may even be letting fuel drip into the manifold, lowering the level in the bowl.

The carburetor needs to be rebuilt with new gaskets. From your comments and questions, I expect that is beyond your capabilities. Youíve also removed the choke plate. You need to get that back so that it can close but also doesnít bind so that it can open again. Then there is the matter of getting the screw to where they wonít fall out.

If Iím interpreting your description of what you did correctly, you removed the choke and rod, then proceeded to work through the choke opening. You should have removed the top of the carb.

My suggestion is to buy a rebuilt carb. If you want to learn, take the old one apart and see whatís in there. Then put it back together and return it as the core.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode