Best Setup? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Drew_Jeep14

Best Setup?

Im pretty new to the whole offroading. I live in Nebraska and just got a stock 2004 jeep wrangler sahara. What is the best suspension/tire setup for 50/50 street and offroad use with mainly mudding/trail and some rock climbing (not many mountains in Nebraska. My dad works for Goodyear and gets a 25% discount so i was thinking of going with 31 x 10.5' Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's and maybe a Superide 1.75' lift? I dont have enough money to go super huge but i dont wanna go to small, ya kno? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Veteran

Re: Best Setup?

Since you stated that you are "new to the whole offroading thing" and that you "just got" your Jeep, I would suggest that you leave it alone. Wheel it stock for a while. Learn what it (and the driver) can and can't do. Go on trail rides with a club. After a while, you will realize what you need to do to the Jeep to make it perform how you want.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 AM

Also along the lines of leaving it alone until you know what it and you are capable of... you can fit those 31" MTRs on it stock... you'd be suprised what you can accomplish with a good set of tires and some determination....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
not many mountains in Nebraska

[/ QUOTE ]

Must not live on the good end of the state! Here in the Panhandle we only have a couple hour drive to some of the most technical trails in the country up in the Black Hills. Then there is Chadron State Park, the river runs down in North Platte and some other secret locations!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with leaving it alone.....except for tires.
31" will fit without a lift, if you don't mind the occasional rub under extreem flex. 31" Tires will get rid of that 'dorky' look the stock tires have.

Do not get backspaced rims. That will push your tire too far out and it will rub a lot. Use your stock rims for now.

Get to know your vehicle and figure out what you want to do with it. To be honest, it took me about 2 years to start figuring out what I really needed....remember, there is a big difference between need and want. Next time you drive, have a look out for other jeeps. After ahile you will start to see those that have a lot of BOB (Bolt On Bling)...makes it 'look' 100MPH faster on the trail but hardly slows it down...and most cases, those guys have never even seen real dirt. Case in point....some springs that will give you a 4" lift, will actually make the jeep perform worse on the trail than the same jeep with stock springs.

Your TJ is a great vehicle in stock form. It does not take much to bump it up a few notches, but you need to know the right way to do it....time to start reading. Better to learn my our mistakes than make them yourself.

BTW....Welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode