I need help (in more ways than one) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:34 PM
cj7wilson

I need help (in more ways than one)

Hi folks,

I'm having some trouble with two things...

thing #1: I go through starters pretty quickly, as in one every four months or so. They gradually start making noises like they're grinding on something and not connecting with the gears. This gets worse until they just spin. I check the bendix on the starter and it looks a little worn, but not too bad. Flywheel looks the same. It's getting progressively worse, in the sense that I just replaced the starter Sunday and it went out on me today on the way home. Any thoughts?

thing 2: My left front wheel seems to be jamming on something. right after I pulled into my apartment complex it just locked for a few seconds. I hit the clutch and the brakes, and stopped. I put it back in gear, and it went a few feet and did it again. I turned off the jeep, turned it back on and it wouldn't start (see thing #1), so I had to push it and park it. I thought it might be the front diff, but the hubs aren't locked and it's in 2wd, so that's not it. I thought the hub might have locked up, but the axle would still spin, and like I said, 2wd. There's nothing obvious, like a big log sticking out somewhere. I'm about to go get a new starter and work on it. Any ideas on that one as well?

Thanks again for the assistance, you guys are lifesavers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:05 PM

Re: I need help (in more ways than one)

Details, details, details. Give us more info in your profile. I assume you have a cj7 but don't know what year/eng/trans/mods?? All this will help us to help you.

And welcome to the BBS.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:20 PM
cj7wilson

Oh, right, sorry, what a n00b thing to do... It's a '79 CJ7, with a transplanted 258 from a '75 CJ5. The tranny is a t-150 3-speed, the same one that was on my old '79 engine when it threw a rod. (I mention that because the flywheel is off the '79 258, which may be important.) I've got a starter for a '75 258 and a '79 258, and the part numbers are different.
The front end is a model 30, manual steering and brakes. Other (but probably unrelated) mods:
3 inch black diamond suspension lift, Dana 44 rear end, GM HEI conversion and MC2100 carb.

Sorry about the lack of info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome Wilson,
As Dirt Dog said...please fill in your profile. That way we don't have to do as much guessing.

We 'assume' you have the 4.2L (now you see why the profile is nice).
Thing #1 - When it started this morning, did it turn over strong? When it does turn over, does the speed seem normal? How many miles on the engine? Where are you getting your rebuilt starters?

These starters are a little different in that your starter solenoid is up on the right fender well. When it energiezes, it kicks the starter out and turns it. If it's going bad, it 'could' cause it so that you have enough juice to kick out but turn the starter.

Thing #2 - Jack up the front axle with a floor jack and have someone turn the wheel while your watch what is happening. Make sure the steering stabalizer is properly attached. One time I forgot to tighten the bolts on one side and the clamp slid...it gave me the same symptoms you are noting.

You will be surprised at what you can see just watching the front move back and forth.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
cj7wilson

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick response. When I started it this morning it made a loud sustained noise that's hard to describe... a deep grinding sound, like the mother of all snores. It didn't seem to turn over at all on the first turn of the key (just the noise), then it started on the second turn. It's been the story of my life recently.
I won't be able to try the floor jack technique for thing 2 tonight, because it's dark and I'm working outside by myself. But I will try it the first chance I get.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Do you have an oil leak at the rear of the valve cover? Itís a 258, of course you do.

The oil leaks down into the bellhousing and gets in the starter and bendix. Dirt sticks to the oil and the bendix canít extend. The oil and dirt donít do the starter motor any good either.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
cj7wilson

NEW INFO:

Thing 1 showed me some mercy and started for me. if it doesn't start tomorrow, I'll take off from work and replace it.

Thing 2 was the result of a big bolt working loose and falling off of the caliper, allowing the caliper to swing and seize. replaced bolt, thing 2 gone.

The starter still bugs me, because I'm not made of money to replace these things (though they're not all that expensive), and because it could be a lot of things. I'll look into a new solenoid and try to stop leaking oil (though that's a relatively lost cause), but if there are any other suggestions, I'd appreciate those as well. I'm getting so sick of replacing starters, I'd try about anything... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks again all!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should not be paying for those starters.....another good reason to go to NAPA. I believe you are starting to see how cheap is not really cheap....but more expensive in the long run.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Addict

I think that Taz makes a good point but I dont think it would happen so quickly and to so many starters. John on the other hand has a good point. The starter solonoid may be bad and not producing enough amperage to engage the starter. You may also want to check that the connections on the starter are nice and tight and that the wire is not corroded. Another thing to check is the ground wire between your engine and battery. A bad ground can also keep the starter from engaging [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] good luck
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Pooh-Bah

Grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds grounds, grounds, grounds, grounds.

Ground from battery to frame.
Grounds from frame to engine.
And buy lifetime rebuilt starters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode