What's yall's thoughts. Decision Made! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

What\'s yall\'s thoughts. Decision Made!

Well by now most of you have heard my problems with my 73 cj 5. To sum up the found problems so far. Cracked the carb. bowl, blown head gasket and 4 broken valve guides and one broken roker bridge, and unknown rattles in the heads. My dad and I have about decided that I might be better off just putting in a new engine. What is yall's opinion of engine choice. New 304, or a GM engine. I know there are delimas for both. What are the pros and cons?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What\'s yall\'s thoughts and suggestions.

Look around, check your local clubs...I see "gently used" 304s and 360's going for $200-$400...I sold a 304 with all the accessories (no a/c) Carb to pan, with ~90K miles on it...no smoke, for $250...Might be worth a try.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It depends on your budget....and how handy you are with a wrench.

Personally, I think you are better off finding a doner vehicle that has either a V6 or V8 TBI or TPI. I just finished a SBC swap into my CJ7 and if I had not gotten carried away with a frame up restore, it would have taken a lot less time and money. I paid $500 for my engine and transmission...but then, I lucked out. To date, I have about $2000 in the project excluding re-painting. Your going to spend over $1000 to just rebuild the engine correctly. My last 4.2 rebuild cost me $1400.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks for the suggestions. I just don't know what to do. I haven't taken the engine down all the way so I wonder what I'll find in the block? I keep hearing and reading the GM swap is difficult to get right. Will it work with the new painless wiring harness I put i it. I know I'll have to change the mounts and I'm no welder at all. Most all the guys around here all run carbs and say they don't have any problems even one serious crawler I know. I guess different locations have their preferences. How many problems will a 360 swap be I can get one for almost free from a neighbor however it has sat for two years due to an axle issue he just will not fix so his 89 wagoneer is dying a slow sad death. Some tell me this is too much engine for my cj 5. It has a 44 rear, 30 front end, t15 trans and a 20 transfer case. Thanks for the help.

Matt
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I'm staying with the 304. After searching and reading previous posts I know with my li8mited exp. I'm better off staying with what I've got besides I like the engine. Now what is your experience with remanufactured engines. I've weighed the costs and know I'll have basically the same cost wether I rebuild the one I've got assuming everything is sound in the block or I put a new one in it. I haven't gone this far with a vehicle but I've done everything else to my jeep myself so I guess I can learn to do this as well.

Matt

73CJ5 2 1/2 Skyjacker Springs, Painless Wiring, full cage, and 31x10.50, new floor pans and interior, splitfire gauges stock 304.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:22 AM
Veteran

In the long run, your decision, is your decision, and probably a smart one.

If it was me, with your decision, I would probably do the 360. I would think you could find one reasonably priced.

I knew of a CJ5 with a 360 once, and it was very impressive, and I'm pretty sure it's a easy swap.

Just my .02 cents worth.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
[...]How many problems will a 360 swap be I can get one for almost free from a neighbor however it has sat for two years due to an axle issue he just will not fix so his 89 wagoneer is dying a slow sad death. Some tell me this is too much engine for my cj 5. [...]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd get the "almost free 360" and slap 'er in... Not too much if you're not stupid w/ the skinny pedal. (Okay, okay, I know that is easier said than done...)

Talk to webjeep... he replaced the 258 w/ a 360 (somewhat-built, I think?) in his '78 CJ-5 about 2yrs ago... he can give you some personal, hands-on insight on the "too much" issue(s).
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks for all the info. I'm just concerned about the condition of the 360 having sat for two years. But I'll just have to look at it to know for sure.

Matt
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Unless it was exposed to the eliments...i.e., intake exposed, no exhaust manifolds, sitting outside...it should be fine.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Nope no exposure to the elements just draged it home and parked it. He asked me if I would tell him what it needed for the rear end and that was only about 300.00 bucks worth of parts and we could have fixed it but he is no where near any kind of gear head and ddn't want to tackle it. It's just sitting and dying. He wants $500.00 for the engine and my old canoe. I thin it's probably a good deal. Now what would the rest of the Waggy be worth if I was to part it out. It's an 89 with everything working till the wheel bearing went out in the rear. I think it has D44 axles both front and rear and an auto tranny, super cold a/c and everything else worked and the body is in great condition. I've tried to sell it for him as is and all I could get offered for it was $500.00 to $1000.00. What do you know about these?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode