LOTS of questions about CJ-5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 10:18 AM
fsrmatt

LOTS of questions about CJ-5

Hi all,

I recently bought a '72 CJ-5 project Jeep and had some questions regarding mods. The Jeep has a Dana 30 front and 44 rear axle with a 3 speed and 304 - not sure what the trans is although it is a Renegade if that helps. It has 4" Skyjacker springs and 1" over shackles with 33x12.50x15 BFG MT tires. My first question is will I have to change driveshafts to get an acceptable angle or do I need to lower the transfer case etc.?

The engine is the original but I am putting a painless wiring harness in it along with headers and an Edelbrock Performer manifold (dual plane) and Holley 600cfm carb. I want to get rid of all smog devices and run it like this. Does anything else need to be changed to make these mods work? Also, I'd like to change out the point ignition for an HEI or equivalant - is this difficult and does anything elkse need to be switched as well during that conversion?

Am I correct in believing this is a generator and not an alternator system?

I have many more questions regarding mounting the fiberglass tub and converting to power steering and power (disc) brakes but that will have to wait for now.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: LOTS of questions about CJ-5

Fill out your profile....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First off, welcome.

Second...sounds like you're starting off with a pretty good setup.

Next, please add a little more info to your profile....or you will suffer the rath of Leve.....update....never mind...Leve's fingers are faster than mine

And what we really need to know to answer your questions is what type of off-roading you want to do. Considering some of the mods you want to make to the engine, it sounds like you want a road beast and not a rock crawler.

Now....your questions....

Driveshaft....CJ5's have short wheel base. I personally don't like droping the xfer case...it's only a bandaid. Do it right and go with a CV driveshaft. You point the pumpkin right at the tail of the xfer case and the CV joint does the rest.

Loose the extended shackles....Skyjacker springs are some of the stiffest around....if you have the money, loose them as well. There are better ways to lift your jeep.

Is the 3 speed tranny an auto or manual?

Now the engine....for the most part, a 72 had little or no smog devices. Truth is, all the stuff you want to put on it will hurt your rock crawling rather than help. Headers are high maintenance and only help the upper 20% of your RPM range. Most off roading uses RPM ranges of 2500 and below. In addition, carborators are prone to flooding on trails, especially when you are parked on the side of a mountain. Personally, I would sell the engine and tranny and find a good low mileage fuel injected engine...say a Chevy Gen III TPI...you will get better gas mileage, lots more power, much more driveable, and it won't stall on hills.

BTW...use the search function.....there is a ton of info already posted...you just have to look for it...I get better results when I put the key words in quotes ""....for example, "SOA".

Fill our your profile...figure out how you want to use the jeep...do some searching and then come and talk to us...

Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Put Stock or stock length Shackles back on it. I hope by 1" lift shackles you mean, they are 1" longer netting .5" lift and not 2" longer netting 1" lift.

Do that and you should be fine to run your pinion angle at stock, with a single joint shaft.

As for Holley Carb.... Unles you know Holley Carbs REALLY WELL and how to fine tune them, and like to constantly screw with them, avoid them on an off road vehicle. Stick with the MC2100. Had the Hollley, messed with it for 2 years, it was great on the street, sucked off road, swapped for teh 2100, and Loved Every minute of it since.

as for Ignition, search here on this board. there's MORE than you could ever want to know in previous discussions.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Veteran

Should be an alternator. SHOULD be..after all it is a pre-owned Jeep, so you never can tell...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 04:15 PM
fsrmatt

Thanks for the help. I really don't have a lot of money to put into this Jeep and I'm not concerned with hardcore wheeling so I'm just looking to get it set up as a reliable street vehicle for now. It has a manual 3 speed trans.

I don't have the original springs so I could go with the shorter shackles if I can find a set. Will the driveline work with the shackles and springs as installed now? I hate to "throw away" new parts and i like the stance. Again, I'm not too worried about heavy off-road use and it won't get driven a lot over the course of a year so i'm just looking to get it running and looking decent.

Did the Renegade have a limited slip dana 44 in '72?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Veteran

As far as the carb swap goes you may want to look into a q-jet instead of the holley. I'm sure that this will spark another debate of the best off-road carb, but if you want 4 bbl then your best bet is po man's injecshun, aka quadrajet. With an adapter plate and some creative linkage routing you can drop it right on top of the performer manifold (that's how my 360's set up).

Springs and shackles... Look for a good set of greasable shackles with 0 to 0.5" and put those on. Take your nifty lift shackles and put em on ebay, someone will buy them.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Debate? Not much to debate....I'll take the Q-jet any day over the Holly....

Back to the engine....I would not waste money on a new intake or headers. Replace the carb if it really needs it...pull the exhaust manifolds and have the ceramic coated for cool factor...after a year they will look better than the headers....and sound a whole lot better. Take the money you saved on the headers and update the exhaust. Do the HEI mod....that will do more for performance than the headers (remember, headers only help if you change cams and modify the heads).

33" Tires? What gears do you have? If it's anything less than 3.73, then no wonder it drives like a dog. Put in 4.10 gears and that will wake up the jeep more than anything else...not to mention making it more drivable....and it will help your gas mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode