OT - Linux Operating Systems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

OT - Linux Operating Systems

Just curious how many of you guys are really into Linux and run a complete Linux operating system? If you do, which linux are you running and how do you like it?

I'm a newbie to all the Linux stuff (heard about it for years, but just now starting to get into it).

I'm actually using Knoppix and Firefox right now to type this post, just playing around with it. I am pretty impressed since this is all done on a bootable CD that you can take anywhere and also use for diagnostics, etc.

I'm thinking about converting this desktop computer completely to linux since it is just an oldie that I have sitting around and I want to experiment a little with Linux.

The reason I downloaded Knoppix to begin with was to see if my old Compaq and its hardware would be compatible...everything booted up nicely and seems to work.

Now I just need to decide whether I want to tey Fedora, Mandrake, SuSE, etc. for my complete system.

I started all this this weekend when we found out at work that microsoft is starting to limit the number of action packs to one per company, so things are going to get really expensive for licensing, etc.

So I started playing around with some of this stuff and also openoffice, which if you haven't tried it, I recommend you give it a shot. Its an office suite thats free and so far works well for the things I have tested on it (spreadsheets with mocros, etc.). I will probably be using it for some of our guys tech laptops, etc. since they don't use Microsoft Office programs much, and they will be able to use open office and it won't cost anything and is compatible with microsfot office....well rambled on long enough...give me your linux insights and recommendations....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT - Linux Operating Systems

I have been playing around with Red Hat...I believe I have ver 8.1. I set up my home machine with dual boot. I have a 20G parition just for Linux.

I also have Borlands Kylix development system so I 'could' start writing programs.

Right now, it's more of an issue of time and finding a need.

Without a doubt, Linux is more reliable than Windows....I kinda like to to use the comparison of VHS vs BETA.

Until recently, Linux and Firefox were pretty immune to viruses, however, the priks out there that write the viruses are starting to target Firefox because of it's popularity.

There is a tone of stuff available out there. Once you get past the first or second round of installs, it all starts to fall into space. Pay close attention to volumns and mounting.

Also...Linux is not tollerant of marginal hardware. If you get a Signal 10 then start looking at your hardware. A lot of people try to install Linux on cheap clones and have nothing but trouble.

The good news is, once you get the system up and running and Mazola online, browsing the internet is clean.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I just need to decide whether I want to tey Fedora, Mandrake, SuSE, etc. for my complete system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of those 3 I'd choose Mandriva(formerly Mandrake)but if your not stuck on those and your looking for a distro thats geared more towards a "desktop" O.S. may I suggest a couple other choices:

MEPIS Linux http://<a href="http://www.mepis.org....mepis.org</a>

Ubuntu Linux http://<a href="http://www.ubuntulin...ulinux.org</a>

Mepis is a bootable cd so you can try it with your hardware and to install to a harddrive you click a icon on the desktop, you can even resize your current partitions. The install is so easy you'll be amazed.

Ubuntu has a bootable CD also but you have to download the install CD also if you want to install it. They will even ship you free CD's if you don't want to download. They also claim it will always be free. The install isn't as easy as Mepis but once it's installed it's easier to keep updated and packages are very easy to install. It's also very easy for a windows user to find their way around in.

I've tried both on as little as a PII-400, 256 md and they both are livable and run decent but a PIII is better. Personally I'd have to say that I prefer Ubuntu although I still am playing around with both. They both have Open Office, firefox and lots more preconfigured and installed software.

Another distro you may want to try is Vectorlinux http://<a href="http://www.vectorlin...rlinux.com</a> a small light distro geared toward older hardware but being so doesn't have all the bells & whistles and uses koffice instead of Open Office. Although they do have a SoHo version that has Open Office.

Now if you really want to get more confused go to http://<a href="http://www.distrowat...owatch.com</a> and look at all the other choices in distro's. Bet you didn't know there were so many! But it is a good place to research all the differant Linux distro's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've been using RedHad Core 4. The Core systems are aimed more at the "home" user...has less programing need. Don't have the dual boot set up on the new laptop, so still working with XPpro...funny how much stuff on XP looks a lot like Core 2...from 3 years ago...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Old Hand

On my desktop I run Mandrake and on my other Desktop I run Storm. Like them Both. If your starting out i would go with Mandrake they seem to have a better help file then what i have seen.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Mud in my Veins

Home Box = Gentoo w/ 2.6.13 kernel
Office Box = Gentoo w/ 2.4.x kernel
POS IBM Throw-away Laptop = SuSE 9.2 Pro w/ 2.6.x kernel

... won't mention the nice "job security" I have supporting Winders either! Daily I'm reminded just how much I HATE Usoft! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Running about 10-15 dually workstations on a combo of RedHat, Fedora, Gentoo, Knoppix, etc...

Also at the office, but definitely NOT "desktop systems" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] :

-10 Node Cluster (ea. dual P4-2.8/2Gb Ram) = RedHat 7 or 8 (last distro before Fedora) & Scyld
-10 Node Cluster (ea. dual Athlon 2Ghz/2Gb Ram) = Suse Pro 9.1
-42 Node Cluster (ea. dual Opteron 3.xGhz/$Gb Ram) = SuSE 9.2 Pro

I'd be hard pressed to go outside the SuSE distro if I didn't have excellent "support" w/ Gentoo (manager is Linux freak of 20+ years)... (SuSE has loaded w/o fail on everything we've thrown at it) but if I did, I've heard great things about the simplicity & ease of Ubuntu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode