YJ Lift Suggestions and NJ laws - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:59 PM
91Renegade

YJ Lift Suggestions and NJ laws

i just recently picked up a 91 renegade. im thinking about lifting it but i'm not 100% sure what's right for me. I was thinking a 4in suspension lift and then maybe a body lift but im not sure how much. Any Suggestions? Also here in NJ the inspection is kind of stiff. Does anyone know the deal with the rollover test i believe you have to take and if there are any other laws i should take into consideraion.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: YJ Lift Suggestions and NJ laws

What's right for you depends entirely on what you want out of your Jeep, what you plan to do with it, where you'll be doing it, etc. If you're driving it on the street only, but want the look of a lifted Jeep, the choice is way different than if you plan to crawl rocks, which is different than if you plan to run mud bogs, etc. Let us know what your plans for the Jeep are, then you'll get some good advice here.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:16 PM

Usually the height is measured - here in Mass. it's the height from the ground to the bottom of the door. Can't be higher than XXX.

Every state is different, and sometimes even different counties within the state are different. You can probably find it on your local RMV's (Registry of Motor Vehicle's) website.

And, as with most things, it all depends on who you know.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Way Outta Control

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking a 4in suspension lift and then maybe a body lift but im not sure how much. Any Suggestions

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO... you're going to roll the YJ and kill yourself. If you're lucky you won't take anyone else with you.

Before you even think about modifications to the suspension, how about a full roll cage and a winch? These two things prevent more problems than they cause, unlike a lift. Often the owner of a Lifted Jeep will over drive their abilities and get in trouble. These aren't just cars... they're Jeeps and must be driven like one. That means getting acquainted with the handling characteristics in ALL types of conditions, on the road and off.

Sit back and learn to drive the Jeep. Enjoy it for a year or so while you attend trail rides in your area. This time lets Jeep-Fever cool a bit and you can take the time to make the Jeep the most reliable vehicle you'll ever own. Spend the time wisely. You'll soon find that driving a Jeep is 90% driver and 10% rig. It's amazing what a good driver can do with a stock Jeep. Of course there'll be trails you won't be able to go on.. or have problems if you do. But you'll soon learn the type of modifications that make sense to you and your driving.

Remember a lift isn't just raising the Jeep. It's also the cost of new tires (and often new wheels), upgrading brakes, regearing the axles to restore power and few dozen other things I forget right now.

Tom has also given you very good advise.

It's up to you to take it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 PM

First of all, it's about damn time someone else was from Sayreville...

I would suggest wheeling it first before anything else. See what works for the type of wheeling your going to be doing. While your on your trail rides, pay attention to the other jeeps and how they are set up. Since they most likely are set up for the type of terrain you want to wheel (since you are both there) You might also want to concider joining a club in the area. They are filled with a wealth of knowledge about the areas you will be wheeling. It's also a good place to get parts and work done if you can't do the stuff yourself.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Addict

All good advise, When you do a lift make sure it's done properly. Not properly done a lift kit could ruin your Jeeping experience.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:01 AM
Addict

Oh and it could ruin your Jeep too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode