Brake Light Switch for '78 CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:09 AM
freebie

Brake Light Switch for \'78 CJ7

Guys: I need some help. I'm just about finished with a frame up overhaul of a '78 CJ7, SB Chevy, SM465 trans, shackle reversal, complete rewire, etc. I've been through all that and I can't find a brake light switch. It's the kind that screws into the metal clip behind the brake arm. I need the little clip and the switch and none of the suppliers seem to carry that. I'm probably going to be really embarrased at how simple this really is but can someone help?

Many thanks,
Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Brake Light Switch for \'78 CJ7

Go to NAPA. They carry the barral type of switches that includes the nuts to adjust it. I had to add a second one for my SBC swap...the computer needs the brake input to control the torque converter.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Suggestion on that Clip thatthe switch screws into. Ditch it. see if you can find a nut big enough to fit it instead. Pne of those thin nuts that'll have about 3 threads. I couldn't find one, so I made one out of a chunk of delron (similar to teflon). cut a small square about 3/16" thick and 1" square (roughly, so make you're own measurements) drilled and tapped a hole to match the switch, and cut used that. the stupid metal clip stripped the threads on my switch, so I cleaned them as best I could and used the home made nut. MUCH BETTER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:52 PM
freebie

John: Thanks for the tip. Do you know what other usages that switch might have? That information might make it easier for the counter guys to find it.

By the way what are you doing to your '84CJ? Engine? Suspension? etc?

Thanks again.
Kent
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 03:57 PM
freebie

Brent: The delrin suggestion is excellent. I happen to work in a polymer lab and just happen to have some delrin on hand and a machine lab about three doors down. The little metal clip on what was left of my switch was broken and had seriously torn up the threads on mine as well.

Later,
Kent
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 04:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put a 5.7L TBI with the 4L60E tranny in my 84. I already had SOA...I ended up getting carried away and doing a frame up restore....sand blasted the frame...stainless brake and fuel lines...etc....I've been working on it for about 1.5 years...almost done...Jeep is at the paint shop....

Almost done? Yea, right.

The barrel switch is real common...cost about $5. I now have two of them, one for brake lights and the other for the computer. Just tell them a brake light switch for an 84 CJ. They actually have a book that you can look at all the brake switches

I agree with Brent regarding the existing clip. The new switch will come with two nuts that allows you to position it exactly where you want it.

Your brake pedel should look like this...

If you look just in front of the brake pedel you can see the tab that holds the brakes switches. Mine had two holes so it made my life a lot easier.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:56 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Uh.... is there an AUTOZONE near you? I just searched online for this:

BRAKELIGHT SWITCH

WELLS BRAKELIGHT SWITCH for a 1984 JEEP CJ7

Unit Price: $8.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: DR496
Weight: 0.05 lbs.
Warranty:
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Normally Stocked
Note:

NONE

I think this is the same switch that is used in some older FORD trucks....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:46 AM
freebie

Told you I was going to be embarrased about this. Checked everything but Autozone. I did check O'Reilly's and came up blank there so I didn't even bother with AZ.

There's one about 5 minutes from work so I'll check them out over lunch.

Thanks a bunch,
Kent
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
freebie

John:

Sounds like we have taken an almost identical path. The further my son and I got into this '78 the more we found that it needed. And finally decided to take it all the way to the frame. We are about 15 months into ours now and getting pretty close. It had a brand new small block in it but the installation was a little questionable and it had the original T150 3 speed that was jumping out of second gear. We decided not to rebuild the T150 because at the end of the ordeal we'd still have a three speed.

We got a set of Advanced Adapter motor mounts and an SM465 transmission and a transfer case adapter also from AA. We relocated the motor slightly forward then while we were warmed up with the welder decided to go ahead and put a shackle reversal system. It was a MORE SR system. Very well engineered but definitely not a bolt on. We finished off the chassis with a Superlift 4" lift.

We had the frame powder coated. The body didn't have too much rust but I decided to rent a comercial sand blaster and do the thing right. For rust proofing I have tried something that I hope works. After the sand blast I applied inorganic zinc to the interior and under side. Then coated that with Rustoleum primer made for application over the zinc. Then...we applied two coats of Herculiner to the underside and fenderwells. (like they say, don't get that stuff on you.) Before we put the interior back in we plan to Herculine the interior.

Like you I went with the stainless lines. The body is back on the chassis and we are running the wiring now. The smartest money I spent was for the Painless wiring harness.

Good luck with yours. BTW what part of the country are you located in?

Regards,Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode