=== Pnutís CJ7 V8 swap Ė Jan 3rd Update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

=== Pnutís CJ7 V8 swap Ė Jan 3rd Update

Here are the previous 2 posts on this project:

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s.../5#Post1459244

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s.../2#Post1467496

Iíve gone ahead and dropped the engine in. The MORE engine mounts made the job WAAAAY easier (especially for first timer doing this swap with no helpers). I dropped the engine and tranny in together (had to remove the front bumper to get the hoist far enough back). You can see the mounts welded in place and then painted over. I also included a pic of my new battery tray (birthday in October), air cleaner (Xmas), and firewall wire port (Xmas too). I should have a challenge running the exhaust on the passenger side. Look closely at the pictures and you can see about ľĒ between the frame rail and collector on the passenger side.

I still have to run exhaust, and put fenders back on and finish wiring. I also have to install transfer case (had to send the Rube adaptor back, it had a defect). The transfer case will be almost flat (clocked up), to give me an almost flat skidplate which should be close to flush with the lower framerails. Exhaust might be a problem for this though. I also have to finish the serpentine belt (alternator fan spacer issue), and get the driveshaft lengths modified after the transfer case is in. Finally, I have to run ARB lines, fuel lines, and breather lines all down the passenger frame rail, right where the exhaust pipe needs to be. Fun.

Finally, I included pics of my 2 helpers. Itís nice because during the winter my daughter likes to spend time in the garage with me (making a mess with tie wraps, etc) hours on end in the evenings.

Iíve definitely learned tons on this swap which I can pass along. One example of MANY: when using a standard GM PS pump off Ebay, you need a custom pressure hose since the pump end connection is different. Look for some more detail on CJ7 V8 swaps in general. Iím working on a group of articles detailing all Iíve done and how you can do a V8 swap of your own with ALL of the details I dealt with.

Iíll do a final post here when I have it running and all hookups done.

On a side note, anyone who happens to be in the area of West Michigan are welcome to PM or email me for a visit, I love talking about the Jeep and showing it off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:07 AM

Re: === Pnutís CJ7 V8 swap Ė Jan 3rd Update

That looks terrific! Running the exhaust is going to be a real challenge, but with helpers like those I'm sure you'll figure it out. Can't wait to see it at the bash.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

clear this up fer me if ya can please, cuz doesnt seem to make much sense.....

battery holder made from aluminum....conductive. fancy web pattern accross the top of the battery. wont this cause a short between the battery posts??????? looks awweeeeful clost to the posts and the metal cable ends that clamp to the posts.

everything else looks fabulous as always! great attention to detail! cute rug-rats too

I think DirtDog needs to make you a decal out of brown vinyl in the shape of an oil spill for your garage floor....that way you can have it clean and the rest of us wont feel so bad [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looking great......Are those Summit stickers on your daughter? Cute kids....adopted...right? lol

Oh...and your garage is still toooo clean.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

From the picture it looks like the battery terminals would be too close to the battery tray, but they really aren't. The Optima battery has raised areas on the plastic top, which are higher than the tray top, and then the studs come out of that raised area. The fit of the terminals is relatively tight, so even if the bolt went loose, it would not fall onto the tray.

I was going to put electrical tape on the bottom of the terminals for this, but in reality, it wasn't necessary.

Of course during installation of the battery to the tray I had to be careful. That's ok, it was worth it......
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

WHAT THE!!!??? GET THAT NASTY MASTER CYLINDER OFF OF THERE AND PUT SOMTHING SHINY ON!

Cute kids and I agree 100%, nice clean work!! {Drooling} [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

You may joke about the master cylinder, but those are my thoughts exactly, it bugs me. I plan to take it off, blast it, and then paint it with some kind of resistant paint (epoxy paint maybe?). It's the only thing at the moment that bugs me alot.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:31 AM
Addict

am i to understand that you did a motor install in that garage recently?[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] it sure doesnt look it, ive only done a couple but as i remember the garage was trashed for weeks afterwards[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

seriously pnut, could you post just ONE pic of that space in at least a cluttered condition? dont know bout the rest of us here, but im gettin a complex about this
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:13 PM

That heep makes my eyes hurt it's so shiney. Let's see a picture of the jeep when it was "stock" before the blingification started.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Yeah, I'm not sure what type of finish would hold up on that MC. Maybe powder coat? But then you have to heat it, otherwise maybe try to find an aluminum bodied replacement? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode