Why do people do such as this? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Why do people do such as this?

It never ceases to amaze me at the things people do just to get by. By now several of you know the headaches I've had with my jeep since the backfire. Well today I ordered my new carb and decided that I'd go ahead and pull the intake off and see how everything looked there just to make sure I didn't have a blown gasket. Guess what there was NO gasket there just the remants of a little silicon and the vally pan. I was told this engine was rebuilt yeah I guess by billy bob down shade tree lane. Why do people do things wrong on purpose?

I did find alot of carbon build up around the push rods and I don't know if it is from the lack of gasket or if I might have a valve issue. Pulling the heads tomorrow to se for sure.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Why do people do such as this?

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people do things wrong on purpose?

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Because we are lazy and impatient. Instead of waiting and getting the right parts, we carry on and use what we have laying around and halfass it together. Mostly because we don't have the patients to wait a day or so to go and get the right stuff for the job. I struggle with this myself...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Way Outta Control

If you want something done right...

Do it yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I'm telling ya that is the truth. I've learned that from remodeling my house. People rig so many things just to get by or they don't know how and won't research it to find out how. Drives me nuts!! Who knows what I'll find tomorrow. I'll pray extra hard a church in the morning that nothing else is stupified.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 09:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

Mr Leve...."If you want something done right..." This is so true but I'm to the point in life where I don't want to learn some things. Or I don't want to take the time to learn. I'm supposed to live in an instant gratification society. Sometimes you have to plop your money down and take your chances. Yet I so believe in the above phrase. When I worked for United repairs were done right. Whatever it took and however long it took. They didn't screw around with that, just everything else. Servicing and repairing emergency generators around Philly I can see the crap places and also those places where I would literally eat off the floor. Things are done right or they are not. I have to balance the possibility of paying for a half ass job and then living with it or doing it myself. I still maintain that in most cases you can buy the tool and do it yourself cheaper that paying someone else to do it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Addict

There are good and honest mechanics out there...when theres something I dont feel like doing myself...or more likely cant do myself like an alignment I go to the same guy I've been going to for 15 years He's never ripped me off and is always honest about what's wrong with my vehicles. I took my jetta there to get the timing belt replaced. he charged me $150.00 When VW wanted $450.00 and changed the other two belts on the car for free. wouldnt even take my money when I offered it to him for the other belts. There are good men out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode