In Radiator Trans Cooler for Power Steering? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

In Radiator Trans Cooler for Power Steering?

This isn't completely jeep related but could be the same on jeeps. My s10 pile has a manual trans so i don't need a trans cooler in the radiator but i have a radiator from an s10 with an automatic that has the trans cooler in the radiator. Can i just plumb my power steering lines into the radiator mounted trans cooler or is this a bad idea? With the front spool and hydro assist i'm going to need a power steering cooler. Using the radiator with trans cooler will cut down on "stuff" on my pile instead of a seperate cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 11:18 AM

Re: In Radiator Trans Cooler for Power Steering?

Run a seperate cooler in front of the rad. That has worked fine for me and a bunch of friends. I would never use the cooler in the rad for this application due to the high heat(180-210) to begin with. It's just too hot for the PS.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Ok, what about one that goes along the frame rail or some where else? I don't think i'm going to have much if any room in front of the radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 11:34 AM

Better than nothing, but not by far. It needs airflow to work. And being on the frame it will get packed in with mud in no time rendering it useless.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Andy,

I have a Buick 455 and am using a radiator from a 95 Dodge diesel. The rad. has 2 aux coolers (tranny and engine oil).

I was using the aux for front steering (full hydro and 44's welded rockwell) and for the tranny (THM-400).

The tranny was getting hot so I pulled it from the radiator auxillary cooler and ran a seperate cooler right behind the grill. I still run the front hydro in the rad. with no cooling issues. I have a mechinacal fan behind the radiator and a Tauruas fan in front of the radiator (behind the tranny cooler). (will post pic's in a day or so of all my progress on the Jeep, lot's of stuff going on here)

The rear steering has a cooler tied to the rear tube cage with no fan and it never gets hot to the touch.

On the CJ I installed an auxillary cooler for the steering (welded front). When mounted in front of the radiator the steering overheated. When mounted behind the radiator, it stayed cool. Either way, you will most likely need to add an electric fan to the mix....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

What about a 10' or so piece of steel tube ran in a loop down the frame rail or something like that? I know that's what GM gave my 3/4 ton from the facotry for a power steering cooler.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 09:37 PM

Yes! and look how well GM is doing!

Sorry, I just had to, I'm a Dodge guy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

From the factoy, my Ram 1500 4x4 has a power steering cooler mounted to the crossmember behind one of the big vents in the front bumper. It looks like a mini aluminum radiator, I think the tubing makes 5 passes through it. I doubt something like this would cost much from Jeg's or one of those places.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Run a seperate cooler in front of the rad. That has worked fine for me and a bunch of friends. I would never use the cooler in the rad for this application due to the high heat(180-210) to begin with. It's just too hot for the PS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from the crossflows that use both tanks to cool (one oil, one trans), the tank cooler is always on the outlet side of the rad. If you're at those temps (not so much the 180 end as the 210), you're not operating the engine at the spec'd temp. That is, you're on your way to overheating.

Liquid to liquid coolers are far superior to airil coolers in terms of heat transfer. Even at a much lower differential they will transfer more btu's. LSI's use the lower rad hose to cool the PS ..as do Crown Vic for the oil.

Using the rad tank is far better, IMHO, then no cooler at all (in situations where the PS is stressed).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
Old Hand

I had a 75 Bronco that had a cooler on the front side of the intake ,,, Heres one on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-77...ower-Steering-

Well I cant get the URL to work right tonight but the Item numberis : 4603718650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode