Welding AMC 20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Welding AMC 20

I have a good AMC 20 with 4:10s, a lockrite and moser axles, and a slighly built 258. I am only running 33's and am not terribly hardcore. But I do run various trails at Moab a few times a year and lots of mountains in Colorado. I have the axle off right now and was considering welding the tubes just for some added strength. But I have not seen this done. Can I do this with a mig welder(175)? Any special technigue? Do I have to take the shafts out? You see what I am after, I would like to weld them but don't want to screw anything up in the process. Photos would be good, or even a link to a write up if one exists. I did do a search and could not find what I am after.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Welding AMC 20

JU had one idea I liked:

CJOffRoad:

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You really don't need to weld them assuming you a good truss....and I don't mean one of those bolt on (BOB) jobs that is all looks and no function. There are two main stresses on the pumpkin, twisting caused by acceleration, and if you park the pumpkin on a rock.

If you have a good truss on top and incorporate a good anti-wrap type of system, then you take all of the twistion and bending forces away from the tubs. About the only thing welding will do for you is reduce the chance a tube will turn inside the pumpkin under high torgue.

BTW....Leve...I like the above idea....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:14 AM
Mud in my Veins

AFAICT, there are several folks here (well, they've been AWOL for a bit) running "bolt-on" trusses from someplace (I believe West Missouri Offroad?)... that have yet to do any damage by spinning or bending tubes. These are definitely not the old school types trusses that were offered for years by Confer! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode