Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Tires

I know we go through this regulary, but I am wondering what you guys are running and what your thoughts are on them.

I liked my BFG's until I got them worn down by 1/3 then they just stopped grabbing. When they were new they were great but now that they are down to the harder rubber they are less than impressive.

So I am trying to decide weather to buy a set of street tires and rotate what I have on when we wheel, or to try another set of tires and take the deep plung into the wallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:35 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Tires

I'm wondering just what rotation will gain you?

The tread's already hard, so you might as well wear it out on the street. Then you can save you pennies. But that brings up the question about rotation. It's important to rotate summer/winter tires as the tread formulation is different. You can use winter tires in the summer. But because the tread's formulated to stay soft in cold weather the tread will almost turn to goo in hot weather. If you leave the tire on during the spring/summer/early fall, then you'll wear it out in less than 5,000 miles. The converse is true with summer tires.

The tire manufactures came out with best all-around solution, the all-season tread. It stays pliable in the winter and summer so you get durable wear.

The more the tire's exposed to the atmosphere/UV light, etc., the more it will degrade.

So, if you remove the off-road tire after you're off-road season ends and store them properly you may delay the decaying of the tread... but not by a whole lot.

The only thing (IMHO... and I know squat about tires) you gain is saving tread for the next off-road season.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 08:22 AM
Old Hand

Are you thinking about putting the off-road tires on every time you want to wheel and then putting the street tires on when your done? I know people who do that, and are happy, but I am lazy.

Since you really asked about tires, and not a critique about your tread management program, I'll tell you what I have...

I ran some cheap 31" no name mud treads for several years in AR. They were pretty good for the mild off roading that I did. I then stepped up to 33" TSLs when I moved to Ohio. I was very pleased with those. I just put on some 36" Iroks, but have not had the Jeep on the trail.

My jeep is not my DD.

-- Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 11:10 AM

I love my 36" tls's in the woods and loved my old 32" sx's in the woods. Swampers wheel circles around mud terrains. I've seen 1 set of 36" iroks in action and they seemed to work decent but the guy didn't really push his truck all that hard and a tsl would have done the same as the iroks did. The 36" bias plys are a huge tire and are hard on parts. I say get a set of cheep street tires and then a set of woods tires. Swampers will last for years if all you use them for is wheeling. There is a set of i think 39.5 tsl's running around up here that have been on a truck that was just driven to the trail and wheeled for the past 15 years. The tires still look brand new. I figure my set of new 36" tsl's shouldn't have a problem lasting me through college and even longer if all i do with them is wheel them.

I know at my work we started selling kuhmo tires. Everyone that has bought the road venture at's has loved them and we live in the land of ice, snow and deer camps with crappy roads. I want to say a set of 4 31" Khumo at's is about $350-$400.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 11:38 AM

In your shoes Jeff I think i would just stay with what you got. I know you're building a stricty off road 5 and I would save the cash for a set of swampers for it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ya the 5 is definately getting Super swampers,, They are Just wicked,,, but Wicked expensive to boot!!

I want to run these out, but I am not happy with them. If diesle ever goes down it won't matter I will go back to driving the truck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:08 AM

What size tires are you going to run on the 5? You couldn't run them on the tj till the cj5 is done and then switch them over to the 5?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Addict

I have crappy 31 inch futura's but they last and aside from being deafeningly loud they get good traction in just about everything but ice. I think next time I'm gonna go with goodyear wrangler mtr's though. all you people driving rubies like those tires? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's a tough question....if you're mostly off-road, then match the tire to the trail....you have a lot of mud so swampers are the best (I assume). Here in CA, it's mostly rock, hence my BFG AT's work just fine for both on road and off road. I would not want swampers.....I can hear the guys running from half a mile away....almost sounds like an incomming air assualt.

Personally, I like the idea of two sets of tires. With an air compressor, it takes me less than 10 min to swap all tires. And it's a good time to inspect the axles while the wheel is off.....something a lot of us don't do enough of.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Way Outta Control

In answer to the MTR question.

I love them! They do a good job in rocks and sand, but not so good in stickey mud - they load up too fast.

I've got them on my Rubi, and my built up Tracker, and a '72 Chev 4x4 PU.

My only 2 objections is they wear fast and are pricey. But I keep buying more anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode