Which Trailer ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Which Trailer ???

Looking for a new trailer to tow my 5 on when I'm travelling. What length trailer should suit my needs? I don't want to buy too much or too little trailer. It needs to acommodate the 5 and I'd like to mount the toolbox from my pickup at the front of it. I know about the axle considerations etc. Just looking for the ideal length and whether a wood or metal deck (I'm leaning towards wood). I'll be towing with an '06 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Which Trailer ???

Go with a min. of 16 foot. 18 are really better, but a little more money. Most car trailers have a set of 3500 lbs axles. Most of the time that will be plenty, but if you can swing the money, go for a set of 5k axles. Wood decks are fine. At work we haul a fork lift around and it has narrow tires, so we replaced a few boards with steel channel so as to have something a little stronger where it sits, but on my trailer, I just use wood.

But..... with that pickup, get a 28 foot gooseneck and a pair of 10k axles. That way you can put both your jeep and your buddies jeep on it!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 02:57 PM

Tippy LIKES spending your money! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

LOL, yes he does.....I only have 1 jeep....for now, and I would consider a gooseneck but, we use the bed for hauling stuff from job to job. So, Jayleen needs a camper shell on it. Plus it gives us a good place to sleep at the bash.....much better than the little camper last year.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Mine is 16 foot and I would call that th minimum. I would go flat top though as wide as i could. I can not get a Waggied axled jeep with 35" Tires up on it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 08:37 AM
Old Hand

I think that I have a 16' with 2' dove tail trailer, 18' overall, metal toped trailer. Mine is just a standard car hauler. This has worked well for my CJ7 with 60" wide axles and 36" tires.

While the trailer has worked well, I have not been very pleased with it. I knew nothing when I bought the trailer. I needed one on a Friday. I found one on a Thursday and bought it. If I were buying another trailer, I would look at the following...

-- Make sure that there are enough tie down points, front and back. I do not have tie downs in the back and so have to loop the strap around the C-channel to attach. I end up using old radiator hose to protect the webbing.
-- Verify that the tire bolt pattern is a standard trailer pattern. I think that 5x5 is a standard wheel size for 3500lb axles. For some reason, my trailer is 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern. This makes it difficult to find brake parts. I wanted to add brakes to the second axle, but none of the places or catalogs that I checked had the parts for my bolt pattern. I also had difficulty finding a suitable spare tire.

I suppose those are my only two gripes right with my trailer now. Good luck. -- Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 11:19 AM

My trailer is your basic 16' utility trailer with rails. It works fine for hauling a jeep and my s10 even fits on with a little room to spare, it is way too narrow though and the rails suck. I can bearly fit a rig with 60" wide axles and 36's on it. I could probably fit a single cab long box truck on since they only have a 4" longer wheel base but the rear bumper would be hanging off a ways. I've seen people use 12' and 14' trailers to haul jeeps without a problem. It's a good option if you have a "lighter duty" tow rig.

If i were to buy another trailer i'd get a real car hauler that is as wide as i can get it. I'd also get an 18' trailer with a 2 5/16" ball and 10k rated, brakes on both axles, nice jack ramps that fold up on the back. I'm harder on my junk then the average joe and probably need a heavier duty trailer.

If i were you ed i'd look for a 14' or 16' 7k rated car hauler, brakes on both axles, ramps, decent jack (most trailers come with a really crapy jack), wood deck (if you have luck like me and do a lot of camp ground reapiars the wood absorbs oil and doesn't get as hot in the run), and an over all quality build. Crawl under what ever trailer you are looking at and see how it was built. It's really easy to tell a quality built trailer from a junker. Expect to pay about $2,000 for a decent quailty 14 or 16' car hauler.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Apprentice

[ QUOTE ]
But..... with that pickup, get a 28 foot gooseneck and a pair of 10k axles. That way you can put both your jeep and your buddies jeep on it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes!! Like a fellow Colorado buddy! Two 5's on a 28footer would look damn hot pulling into your Bash party! Ahhh well, wishful thinking anyways!

Ed-
Look around for used ones. If I had the 1500 laying around, I could have grabbed some really nice trailers in the last year or so. People see to buy them up for a short term use and are willing to give them up for a bargain. I seen a REALLY nice 20' tandem axel, tip-trailer for 1500. Had maybe 500 miles on it. I'm sure it's gone by now, as it was early this summer. Keep your eyes open...they're all over CO.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:34 AM

I went through the same thing last year for towing my CJ7 with my 2000 K2500 5.7L. I bought, and am totally happy with, a 16foot + 2 foot drop tail trailer dual axle 7000lb capacity, with onboard stored ramps and single axle brakes. I paid $1400 for the trailer NEW with used tires.

Buy new trailer tires. I regret getting the used tires, too flexible and too crappy.

The size is just right for my CJ. I would recommend this. More would be too big, less would not be enough. Single axle brakes is enough.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for all the replys folks.....MUCH appreciated. pnut, I can't tell from your pics.....could a truck tool box (across the bed style) fit on the trailer in front of your jeep and still let the jeep load properly on the trailer (weight distributed properly)? I'll be looking for either a 16' or 18' with a wood deck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode